Accident on Maroon Peak Bell Cord

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Accident on Maroon Peak Bell Cord

Post by sunny1 »

This is such a devastating loss and tragedy.
Sounds like an awesome guy.
I am impressed by parents that hike with their kids - note his dad was out there with him.
Wishing all loved ones of Spencer's comfort & peace in this difficult time.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Jason Halladay
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jason Halladay »

cftbq wrote: And interesting how the mainstream media refer to the Bell "Chord"...
No doubt. The CU article even decided to pluralize it (Bell Chords). I have a hard time believing any of the facts in a story when blatant errors like this are made. But I've seen this story in enough places to know it's true, sadly.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

jbird0990 wrote:Spencer Nelson was a great friend of mine. He was a great ski racer and a one of the nicest people I knew. He will be missed dearly.
RIP SPENCER

To whomever is attempting to climb this area in the future....please go with caution, tragedy's like this are devastating to all.
My condolences to Spencer's family, friends and teammates. So sorry to hear of this happening to a young man with such promise.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
bbjones121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bbjones121 »

To Spencer's family and friends; my thoughts and prayers have been with all of you the moment we caught up to your group on the south peak and understood what had just happened. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.
Last edited by bbjones121 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim McMarmot
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim McMarmot »

Rest in peace, Spencer and prayers for the family.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

I just heard about this today.

Really sorry for everyone involved. I can't even begin to imagine the horrible reality of watching a son, friend, or loved one die on a mountain.

I know that the number of accidents this year is still "average", but one death is simply one too many. There are real people behind these featureless numbers.

Here's to Spencer. As his friend said, he left this world doing what he loved the most. While we all hope we can do what we love the most for the longest period of time, it just doesn't always work out, as we're involved in an ostensibly dangerous pursuit.

May he rest in peace.
Jason Halladay
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jason Halladay »

A user that has retracted his statement wrote:
Jason Halladay wrote:
cftbq wrote: And interesting how the mainstream media refer to the Bell "Chord"...
No doubt. The CU article even decided to pluralize it (Bell Chords). I have a hard time believing any of the facts in a story when blatant errors like this are made. But I've seen this story in enough places to know it's true, sadly.
Are you serious about questioning the validity of a death because of incorrect spelling and grammar?? I was there, I was on top, we could hear this happening, and this was absolutely real. You should spend less time worrying about the small details such as spelling and grammar and focus on praying for the Spencer’s family and friends while they cope with this tragic accident....
Hi, yes, I am serious. The details matter. I'm certainly not questioning the validity of the death at this point and of course I feel for the family. It's always very disheartening to hear of the death of a fellow outdoors lover. My point is that facts matter and I don't like seeing the media misreport facts in an attempt to be the first to scoop a story. In no way did my comment try to make light out of this incident. Shame on you for telling me what I should be doing.
And I don't pray. I don't believe in it. It sounds like you had more of a personal involvement in this than most here so your words are probably more comforting and legitimate and maybe you actually know the family believes in God. Please don't make assumptions about the faith of the parties involved nor me.
Last edited by Jason Halladay on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

RIP.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
PTHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PTHiker »

RIP
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Very sorry to hear of this.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zclobes
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zclobes »

Just heard about this from a photography site. Someone snapped a picture as the helicopter was lifting off.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11460231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss.

Zack
grand806
14ers: 30 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grand806 »

I attended both the candlelight vigil and the memorial service today for Spencer Nelson. The participants at both bore witness to an inspirational young man who had a positive influence on everyone he met - coaches and athletes, friends and teachers. He was poised for success, living life to its fullest. He will not be forgotten by those he touched.
Rest in Peace, Spencer.
"If you lose your dreams, you will lose your mind" Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday