Wind Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wind Conditions

Post by rijaca »

The JoshSquatch wrote:
CR0SS wrote:I am sure most peoples most memorable climbs were the ones that did not have optimal weather conditions. The climbs on clear sunny days are the first ones I forget about.

Touche good sir.
Actually some of the most memorable climbs I've had is those days it's so nice I get to spend several hours on the summit. :D
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
The JoshSquatch
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The JoshSquatch »

rijaca wrote:
The JoshSquatch wrote:
CR0SS wrote:I am sure most peoples most memorable climbs were the ones that did not have optimal weather conditions. The climbs on clear sunny days are the first ones I forget about.

Touche good sir.
Actually some of the most memorable climbs I've had is those days it's so nice I get to spend several hours on the summit. :D

Completely agree. To each his own I guess.
CR0SS
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CR0SS »

The JoshSquatch wrote:
rijaca wrote:Actually some of the most memorable climbs I've had is those days it's so nice I get to spend several hours on the summit. :D

You would be right.

What do you do on the summit for a couple hours? I am bored and ready to head down after about ten minutes. Of course I am not there to climb to the top in the first place it is just a side trip if I choose to take it..
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

CR0SS wrote:What do you do on the summit for a couple hours? I am bored and ready to head down after about ten minutes. Of course I am not there to climb to the top in the first place it is just a side trip if I choose to take it..
If you randomly snack on the pretty mushrooms you see in the woods on the way to the summit, you can easily pass a couple of hours studying the anatomy of a clump of moss, for example. Or theorizing about the sociology of pikas, or wondering why the summit cairn is on fire. :shock:
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

CR0SS wrote:
The JoshSquatch wrote:
rijaca wrote:Actually some of the most memorable climbs I've had is those days it's so nice I get to spend several hours on the summit. :D

You would be right.

What do you do on the summit for a couple hours? I am bored and ready to head down after about ten minutes. Of course I am not there to climb to the top in the first place it is just a side trip if I choose to take it..
If you give it a try some time, you might see the allure.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

"What do I do on the summit for a couple hours"

Sometimes I eat, drink beer, take a nap, take in the views, take photographs, talk with others, and just enjoy the ambiance of being on the summit of a mountain. I'm generally trying to maximize the amount of time I spend in the mountains hiking (or whatever).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jrosie3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrosie3 »

i guess i'm in the minority of people who like to spend as little time on the summit as possible. It probably has a lot to do with living in Chicago, so simply being at 14k+ ft is hard on my body, especially my head. Even when I lived in CO, and my body was able to better handle the elevation, all I wanted to do was check out the views, take a few pix, and get back down. I simply don't like hanging out at that high of elevation
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by rijaca » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 am

"What do I do on the summit for a couple hours"

Sometimes I eat, drink beer, take a nap, take in the views, take photographs, talk with others, and just enjoy the ambiance of being on the summit of a mountain. I'm generally trying to maximize the amount of time I spend in the mountains hiking (or whatever).
+1000 ... I, too, love to spend as much time as possible on summits (and above treeline for that matter).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

Man up, for sure.