Camping by Crater Lake ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
msianmama
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Camping by Crater Lake ?

Post by msianmama »

HI there,

I am planning on hiking N. Maroon and was told that there would be camping areas to the left of Crater Lake about a mile in. I am assuming that there would be a trail that would meet the N. Maroon trail that I can take from the campsite? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Camping by Crater Lake ?

Post by crossfitter »

There is a trail that goes along the North side of Crater lake with about 10 established campsites. At the east side of the lake there is a informational stand with a map of all the campsites. You'll want to find the first available, eastermost (lowest numbered) site to have the closest access to North Maroon. Campfires are prohibited and I do not believe you are allowed to camp outside of the established sites.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

msianmama
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by msianmama »

Cool. Thanks :D
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Here's another option if the sites at Crater are full, and I understand that they do fill up sometimes. About 3/4 mile up the Buckskin pass trail that starts at the Lake, the trail to N. Maroon begins close to Minnehaha creek. In the meadow above the creek are plenty of good informal spots. Water in creek is plentiful, views of Pyramid are great, and it saves some mileage on summit day.