Running Longs Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan England
14ers: 58 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Running Longs Peak

Post by Dan England »

OK, before I ask this question, please note that I've climbed all the 14ers and Longs 15 times and probably 180 or so peaks overall.

Now, having said that, I would like to run at least part of Longs Peak and was wondering if you had any tips for me. I've never done it THAT way. I'm doing this because I would love to climb Longs again solo but I would like to cut the time on the actual trail, I am training for the Pikes Peak Ascent and thought this could be a good thing to do, and it sounds fun.

Any suggestions? Should I even do it? Or just hike fast? Maybe that would have almost as much benefit.
sstrauss
14ers: 23 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Running Longs Peak

Post by sstrauss »

I've been passed by people running up the trail to granite pass... in winter.... So I'd say it's doable.
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Longs is quite runnable. The trail is pretty mellow (read: runnable) until the Keyhole. After that, I personally can't really run anymore, so I switch to a fast hike.

Go for it, it's a fun one to run.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Sugar Madison wrote:Longs is quite runnable. The trail is pretty mellow (read: runnable) until the Keyhole. After that, I personally can't really run anymore, so I switch to a fast hike.
From your avatar I didn't take you as much of a runner.
Dan England wrote:Now, having said that, I would like to run at least part of Longs Peak and was wondering if you had any tips for me.
Might be fun to find past threads on here on this topic or search online and find the records for running Longs. Something to think about while you're on the trail. Also, if I were to try to run it, I'd take some shortcuts to avoid those damn steps.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Wesley wrote:
Sugar Madison wrote:Longs is quite runnable. The trail is pretty mellow (read: runnable) until the Keyhole. After that, I personally can't really run anymore, so I switch to a fast hike.
From your avatar I didn't take you as much of a runner.
That camera always adds 10lbs.
ducaron
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ducaron »

Nick Clark (ultrarunner) just did this recently and has some good info on the records, etc on his blog. There's also a discussion on it in the comments section.

http://www.irunmountains.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ap snow
14ers: 58  58  16 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ap snow »

Mike Sullivan has the speed ascent record with an impressive 1h18m31s to the top of Longs. His ascent route was via the Cables route 1982. I kind of recall Jim saying that his record has recently been beat by ten minutes?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Austinporzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carl
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Or if you think simply running the Keyhole might be too easy, the Longs Peak Triathlon might be of interest. Bike from Boulder, run to the Diamond, free solo the Casual (ropes permitted but it will just slow you down), summit, run back to the trailhead, and bike back to Boulder. I believe the record is under 11 hours. Good luck!
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

I'm planning on running up the cables route tomorrow or Saturday. By run I mean jog as often as possible. I'm aiming for under 3 hours to summit, but would be happy with 3:30.
Does anybody know if the snow under the tech pitch is avoidable yet? I don't want to go up the Keyhole route unless I have to. Thanks
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Carl
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Johnba wrote:Does anybody know if the snow under the tech pitch is avoidable yet? I don't want to go up the Keyhole route unless I have to. Thanks
Check out the picture in my trip report from Sunday (TR posted last night). The difficult 100 to 150 feet of the north face is still a little wet, but might be manageable. Little bit of snow to cross.
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Thanks Carl!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Shad
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shad »

Sugar, you the man!
Some succeed because they are destined to,
but most succeed because they are determined to.
-----unknown