Ropes in the Hourglass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ropes in the Hourglass

Post by paully »

While I admit that I did use the fixed ropes to sort of hand rappel myself down (mainly due to very wet rock), it wasn't necessary, and I felt like the mess of ropes detracted from the route overall. I think you did a good thing cutting them down, or at least did something that was harmless... I mean are we here to climb mountains or are we here to climb gigantic jungle gyms???
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

davidnr wrote:Because you decided on your own that they needed to come down. And you took it on yourself to change the mountain for everybody. I don't think that is right.

David
This just doesn't pan out logically, because the same statement could be made about the people who left them there in the first place.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

cftbq wrote:Absolutely agree about minimizing the time, though--with which previously fixed ropes can help. $.02.
The problem here is you are referring to them as "fixed ropes" as if they were placed with the intent of providing a solid rope for many future climbers to use. The ropes left in the hourglass are not "fixed ropes" but are just ropes left behind. They likely are old junky ropes that someone figured was good for one more use but in bad enough shape to leave behind.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

When we descended Little Bear via the Hourglass yesterday there was still a large mess of old ropes (the ones that had been cut out) near the bottom. We couldn't separate the mess or carry it all out, so we cut the ropes into individual "bite-sized" bundles and butterflied them to make them easy to carry out. They are right next to the trail and should be easy to spot. We took the largest lump of them, but there are still plenty, so if you climb the Hourglass and could cart one out, that would be great.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Thanks B3 - the rope that is currently in place was great for the descent yesterday. It was great meeting you!