Snowmass West Slope Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sdizzle
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Snowmass West Slope Conditions?

Post by sdizzle »

I saw there was a trip report from 6/19 but was wondering if anyone has been up there more recently, how much snow there was, and if a ice axe and helmet were recommended. I've heard the rocks are fairly unstable so would imagine the helmet would be a wise precaution. Thanks.
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Snowmass West Slope Conditions?

Post by giarcd »

Many of those rocks are really big----be careful---I'll be interested in update too--------------
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

I was thinking about this for the 10th, so if you are headed up there this weekend, please share your knowledge when you return.
womanhiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by womanhiker »

Bumping this! Anyone been up this way since the 6/19 trip report? Any information would be great! Thanks!
You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
Johnny P
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Johnny P »

I too am interested in the trail conditions of the West Slope. I will be doing it this Saturday 7/10/10. I will be flying in from CA on Friday night and getting to the TH late but expect to get a ~5:30 - 6:00 AM start if anyone else is interested.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

....BUMP....!
I am also planning Snowmass from the west side this weekend (Sunday). Would love some info on trail conditions as well as the road to Lead King Basin trailhead. Last trailhead update says road is still snowed over in spots but that was 6/27. Might switch to Castle/Coundrum if access is still limited.

Thanks!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Help!!! Leaving tomorrow so if you know anything it will be much appreciated.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Photo taken July 4 from the summit of treasury mountain. Don't know if it helps at all:

cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Anything helps. Thank you!!!
Soccer4Life
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Soccer4Life »

Some friends and I are headed up to aspen next weekend and plan on doing Snowmass west slope and I was wondering the same information. Is Lead king open to the trailhead? Last I heard a snow drift was blocking the road between Arkansas Mtn and Sheep Mtn. How much snow is still on the west slope? Any information will help thanks.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Lead King is open to the Geneva Lakes trailhead IF you take the low road through Marble:

Lead King Basin to Geneva Lake is OPEN. However, you have to take the back road through CRYSTAL due to a snow drift/slide over FR 315. Thus, instead of turning left onto FR 315 at the top of Daniels Hill about 1 mile past Marble, continue right on FR 314, which is a longer loop (~40 minutes) but still ends up at Geneva Lake.
Soccer4Life
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Soccer4Life »

Thanks for the information!!