Why only 53?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Redleg Bruce
14ers: 10 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Why only 53?

Post by Redleg Bruce »

So Sunlight Spire is now officially a 14er, it is just unranked, right? How many unranked+ranked 14ers are there, then?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Redleg Bruce wrote: How many unranked+ranked 14ers are there, then?
An answer to this question requires that you define a minimum prominence for an unranked 14er.

How low do you want to go? 200', 100', 40'(single contour)?

There has to be some minimum criteria, or else every rock(and atom) of the surface area above 14K becomes its own unranked 14er!
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I personally would like to see Sunlight Spire added to the 14er checklist on this site, even though it is unranked.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

James Scott wrote:To me the bigger head scratcher is including North Maroon but not North Massive. Both have identical names, North + parent peak (as opposed to Challenger or El Diente, with their individualized names), but North Massive is farther from Massive than North Maroon from Maroon, .9 miles to .4 miles, and North Massive rises farther from the saddle, 280 feet to 234 feet than North Maroon(according to Roach). So to include North Massive and not include North Maroon makes no sense to me.
The only remotely legit reason I've seen for it not being included is that 'North Massive' isn't an official name. The other argument is that it doesn't appear to be a separate peak. That one is pretty weak in my opinion. I agree that it should be on the list (and I counted it).
MountainMan88
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainMan88 »

The new official list should be 55, using the new elevations, becuase you have the 53 peaks with 300 feet prominence and yes Challenger Point does make that list with 301 feet prominence, and then you add North Maroon Peak and El Diente Peak to them, even though they don't have 300 feet prominence they are on the current official list. My personal list is 57, adding Conundrum Peak and Mount Cameron to the 55.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Putting ElD and North Maroon on an "official" list can only be done if you ignore the 300' of prominence "rule" or you include them simply because people like them and want to include them on the list. The CMC list just doesn't take into account prominence on ALL named 14ers. If it did, it would exclude ElD and North Maroon and include Challenger. That makes 53.

Maybe the CMC doesn't want to put Challenger on the list because a lot of finishers would have to go climb it. Hey, things change. Wait until "Sunlight Spire" is officially named. :lol:

I'll reiterate that the 14er list on 14ers.com is defined by specific criteria, not any personal feelings for individual peaks:
1) Peak is named by the USGS (that currently excludes "North Massive")
2) Peak meets 300' of Prominence
That's it.

I should put a hotkey on my keyboard for this response. :D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Wait until "Sunlight Spire" is officially named. :lol:
Maybe somebody should start the process to name it after Spencer Swanger. Spencer's Spire, anyone? :D
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Tabasco78
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tabasco78 »

What is the prominence of the Spire, btw? It doesn't look like it's over 300.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Tabasco78 wrote:What is the prominence of the Spire, btw? It doesn't look like it's over 300.
According to Peakbagger.com, it's "clean prominence" is 195 ft. and its "optimistic prominence" is 235 ft. It lists its elevation at 13,995 ft., though. Didn't that get updated to 14,000 ft. recently?
Last edited by tmathews on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

According to listsofjohn, prominence is 215', separation from parent 0.17 miles, both too small by local standards to be ranked.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

MountainMan88 wrote:yes Challenger Point does make that list with 301 feet prominence
Does Challenger officially have >300 feet of clean prominence? The KC/Challenger col is between the 13760 and 13800 contours. If we accept Challenger's elevation as 14081 it only has 281' of clean prominence.

I have a hunch people don't have much of a beef with counting Challenger because the standard route up KC goes over Challenger anyway (unlike with North Maroon and North Massive, the lesser summit is reached first), and drops a couple hundred feet below the col so that there's some 500' of "hiking prominence", to coin a phrase.
Attachments
challenger.jpg
challenger.jpg (191.16 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Does Challenger officially have >300 feet of clean prominence?
No, but some other well-known peaks don't either. Mt. Bross is one of them.
Any thoughts about Stewart Peak? In the late '60's or early '70's the World Almanac (and possibly CDOT) gave this peak 14,060'. Now it is 13,983'. Seventy-seven feet is quite a loss. Talk about change over time.
Some have been added as well as deleted. For example: Holy Cross was once thought a 13er. Ellingwood Point used to not be on the list (it was known to be over 14K, but wasn't considered an official peak). Mount Ouray was thought to be 14K at one time (and some people still think it is).

Some old lists have 46 only 14ers.
I'll reiterate that the 14er list on 14ers.com is defined by specific criteria, not any personal feelings for individual peaks:
1) Peak is named by the USGS (that currently excludes "North Massive")
2) Peak meets 300' of Prominence
That's it.
Bill; just curious and asking (not debating) about #1. Why would being officially named by the USGS be a criteria?

In Utah for example, a majority of the 12ers and 13ers are officially un-named:

http://www.summitpost.org/list/169944/u ... nence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This includes peaks with well over 1500 foot prominence and which have much more prominence than even peaks such as Snowmass, Quandary, Wetterhorn and Pyramid to name a few (actually most 14ers would fit this list).

If peaks such as Pyramid, Snowmass or Wetterhorn weren't officially named by the USGS, wouldn't they still be considered 14ers? :?:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.