Torreys Emperor beta?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Torreys Emperor beta?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Anyone have a photo of Emperor taken since this past weekend? Or actually been up there?

Thanks
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Torreys Emperor beta?

Post by JosephG »

It looked pretty well skiied over but still had snow top to bottom on Sunday.
Might have a pic on my camera; will post tonight if I do.
Adventurgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 120 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Adventurgal »

We skied Tunning Fork Couloir (NW-Torreys) on Saturday - mushy soft snow.
Several guys skied Emperor the day before and said Tunning Fork was better.

I've got a pic all post shortly.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

thanks!

I'm looking to get that route added to the site and don't mind marginal ski conditions.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Hi, Bill:

I climbed the Emperor on Friday and it was in decent shape, although soft in the middle sections. It's still about 2500 feet of continuous snow. Here's my pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shknbke/TorreysViaEmperor#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Perfect!
Thanks so much, Kevin.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Kevin,
Thanks again for the excellent beta! It was still in for a continuous ski descent today, although it was tricky near the top as bits of that cornice have been breaking off.
Skiing Emperor
Skiing Emperor
P6090187a.jpg (189.89 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Glad you enjoyed some nice turns, Bill!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Bill anything in particular I should know before attempting this route (no ski but maybe a glissade descent)? I'm considering testing my legs on this route so any good info would be appreciated.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Well, it could use a good freeze. It would have been a sloppy mess if I was there an hour later, and I was off the mountain by 9am. The stream crossings can be a chore if you don't have an ATV. There are several.

It's a fun route and I'm adding it to the site right now. The pics are out there and I'm working on the text tonight.

Have fun!
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Maybe Kelso Ridge would be a better choice then, doesn't look like a good freeze is gonna happen before this weekend... No ATV either, are they doable in a stock Grand Cherokee?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

You could cross the streams on the grizzly gulch road with a cherokee but there's a snow drift blocking the start of the road. Also, it's a very rough, narrow road.