Pikes on the Barr Trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Pikes on the Barr Trail

Post by hunterwf »

Does anyone have any idea what the trail is like above treeline? I have been to Barr camp and back twice in the past two weeks and I know the trail dry to there.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Re: Pikes on the Barr Trail

Post by Kevin Baker »

You won't need snowshoes to treeline, but I would recommend them beyond there. Many last weekend got by without them, but it will be tougher going. There is some postholing between the Botttomless Pit trail and treeline, but it is mostly packed down.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

intel from one of the Barr Camp caretakers from a week ago:

Just below the a-frame the trail is still buried but tracked to the shelter. From there tracks lead in multiple directions. People have not been able to find the trail as it is completely covered. The snow has been hard enough in the cold mornings to stay on top. We have had warmer nights, and it has softened to the point of post holing knee to hip deep by 10 am. I have not heard of icy or slippery conditions, just deep wet snow. A group did the Y-coulior last weekend, snow was still stable on that side a week ago. Neal ran out Elk Park trail to deep snow on the first north facing hillsides; he was post holing and turned around early after finding a lot of snow out that way. Still a lot of snow not far from Barr Camp!
hunterwf
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Thanks for the info. I had some things come up next week so I am pushing my trip up to saturday or sunday. I guess I will just head up and make the call as I go.

Thanks

- Maurice Herzog
Cowboyography
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cowboyography »

I am heading up in the morning (Thursday), no snow shoes, I will let you know how far I make it.
hunterwf
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

cool thanks. I am going sometime this weekend sat, sun , or mon whichever day seems best. Going camping with the wife thursday and friday so those 2 days are out.

- Maurice Herzog
Cody
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cody »

I climbed Pikes Peak via the Barr Trail on Sunday. The trail is free of snow until the treeline after which there are numerous patches. I did it without snowshoes. You may want a trekking pole for balance. You must climb two vertical snowfields right below the summit. I did posthole several times over the course of the day, one time up to my hip near the summit.
DanHickstein
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DanHickstein »

I biked/pushed my bike to 13,500 and then hiked to the summit. The ride back down was great!

There wasn't any snow until about 12,500, but between there and the summit there are about 10 patches of wet snow that you need to wade through or avoid via some boulder hopping. Snowshoes are certainly not necessary and the snow won't slow you down much. Gaiters would have helped keep my feet dry.