weather conditions in october

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mr rick
Trip Reports (0)

weather conditions in october

Post by mr rick »

i am coming from out of state the first week of october to hike mt. elbert and handies peak. i was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of weather i could expect in october. i know there will be snow, but will they still be accessible for novice climbers? i am looking for a leisurely challenge, not looking to kill myself. thanks.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: weather conditions in october

Post by Jim Davies »

It can be quite nice that time of year; thunderstorms are few, days can be sunny and dry, trails snow-free. Or, there could be two feet of fresh snow to wade through. You might check the trip reports for past years at that time to get an idea. Here's a sampling:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, check the weather report for the peak before going (see the "weather" link on the main 14ers.com page), and don't forget that there are lower peaks in Colorado that are quite nice (and not as snowy) if conditions don't allow your first choice.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

i was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of weather i could expect in october.
It's way to early to ask that. You will need to check the weather forecast when the time gets closer.

Expect anything from warm and sunny to blizzard conditions. I would plan to come either way, but have a backup plan (such as Colorado National Monument) in case the weather is bad.

Early October often brings plenty of fine and dry weather, but it can bring several feet of snow as well.

Looking at my own trip logs for the first weekend in October, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 were cold and very snowy. 2005 was warm and dry.
Last edited by Scott P on Sun May 16, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The snow could be anywhere between patchy and deep.
i've done several non-technical Oct summits, but there is usually some snow.
I'd bring enough layered clothing for 0F wind chill above the treeline.
Look at October trip reports in the archive.