Week of June 13th

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rockchalk
14ers: 26 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Week of June 13th

Post by Rockchalk »

I will be in CO the week of June 13th and would like to hike a peak (preferably a 14 that my hiking buddy Glodder has already hiked in an effort to catch up to him).

That being said, and knowing that there has been a fair amount of snow this year, would Elbert, Massive, or Princeton be a better hike if I want to keep hiking in snow to a minimum? I've looked at the June trip reports for these peaks for a general idea of the conditions that I could encounter, but I know that it is dependent on the amount of snow during the winter/spring.

I do not own snowshoes or crampons, but I do have an ice axe. I do not feel overly confindent in my self-arrest skills, so my preference would be to limit my hiking to only needing to cross an occasional patch of snow, etc. I know this is early and is the reason for the request for advice. Are there any other suggestions for peaks besides those listed? Thank you for any advice and/or reality check that I should wait to hike until I come back to hike the Chicago Basin the end of July. :-)
"Here's to the view from very high places." - T. Magerkurth
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Week of June 13th

Post by kaiman »

Typically the peaks in the Southern Sawatch melt out first, meaning that Princeton is probably a better choice then Elbert or Massive, but it depends on the weather patterns between now and then. Also those three peaks are some of the most climbed peaks in Colorado which means that the trails should be fairly well packed out by then.

That being said, in the middle of June, you will probably encounter quite a bit of snow in places and may have to endure some post holing and cross some big snowfields en route to the summit (I would recommend picking up a pair of OR or Black Diamond gators to keep the snow out of your boots), but nothing that should require crampons or snowshoes. Also, going with your buddy who has already climbed these mountains should help prevent anything from happening if you start to get in trouble...

I don't know where you will be staying during your trip, but other recommendations for early season 14ers include Sherman, Quandary, Grays and Torreys, Oxford, Bellford, Evans, or Bierstadt.

Happy Trails!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Rockchalk
14ers: 26 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rockchalk »

Kaiman-
Thanks for the information. I'll likely be hiking solo since Glodder will not be in CO until our trip to Durango in late July/early August. I have some runners gators but may opt for longer ones per your suggestion. Thanks again for your recommendations.
Gordy
"Here's to the view from very high places." - T. Magerkurth
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

No problem.

Enjoy! :)
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick