looking for 13er or 14er to do without gear..tomorrow!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

looking for 13er or 14er to do without gear..tomorrow!

Post by irishsailsman »

A friend and I are new to 14ers, but we are in great shape. We are both ultra-runners training for Western States and Leadville 100. We are looking to get some nice hiking in tomorrow, any suggestions?

We live in Boulder/ Denver area but willing to drive.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: looking for 13er or 14er to do without gear..tomorrow!

Post by tmathews »

Go run up to Barr Camp via Barr Trail and have a nice discussion with Neal and Teresa. Both are ultramarathon runners. Neal has run the Leadville 100 a few times and has done the Hardrock 100 (I think he's doing it again this summer). They can definitely give you some pointers.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Excellent suggestion. That will get you a 13mile RT with close to 4000ft elevation gain. The only thought is that there is quite a bit of moisture all along the front range tonight. Not sure how much snow that will be up on that trail. Probably fine below 10k ft.
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irishsailsman »

Can I get to the top of Pikes Peak?
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

There is a lot of snow up on pikes peak right now. How far do you want to run?
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irishsailsman »

hollamby wrote:There is a lot of snow up on pikes peak right now. How far do you want to run?
I dont care really. We re looking at making it a hike/ adventure. I would like to summit if reasonable..Dont have to start at bottom.
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irishsailsman »

Could we go to top and take train down, this time of year? Is it about 5 hours to top?
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irishsailsman »

Mt. Bierstadt...better choice?
randalmartin
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

irishsailsman wrote:Mt. Bierstadt...better choice?
You definitely won't be trail running to the summit of a 14er this time of year. The original suggestion of Barr Camp was a good one from the perspective of actually being able to trail run the whole way. At some point beyond the Barr Camp you would encounter deep soft snow, likewise on Bierstadt. So not really sure what your expecting or prepared for in terms of conditions.
irishsailsman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irishsailsman »

randalmartin wrote:
irishsailsman wrote:Mt. Bierstadt...better choice?
You definitely won't be trail running to the summit of a 14er this time of year. The original suggestion of Barr Camp was a good one from the perspective of actually being able to trail run the whole way. At some point beyond the Barr Camp you would encounter deep soft snow, likewise on Bierstadt. So not really sure what your expecting or prepared for in terms of conditions.

HIKE/ ADVENTURE is what we are looking for..we are runners, but we are only looking to be able to gt up a 14er and work on hiking skills....

Thanks man. So, with that in mind, can we get up without boots, axes, and snowshoes?
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Any 14er you try right now will definitely be an "adventure" without boots. How are you at wading through knee- to waist-deep snow?

The friendliest 14er route this time of year is probably Quandary's east ridge, but even there you could be sinking in pretty deep in the woods below timberline. Of course, if you're really looking for a distance workout you might be able to run the Mount Evans Road from the closure gate. It's very long, probably drifted over in places, and could have some avalanche exposure.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump