Uncompahgre Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Uncompahgre Conditions

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Climbed/skied the standard route on Uncompahgre today:

Snowmobiles can't make it farther than 2.8 miles up the Nellie Creek road because of bad snow and small mud slides. Half of the first 2 miles is snow-free and covered with rocks, making sled travel rough. Road is still blocked by snow at the bottom, so a 4WD can't make it up the road, yet.

Snow Conditions: We skinned the last 1.5 miles of the road and all the way up to 13,700' and booted the rest. The snow is not continuous from the summit and skiers must walk across a portion of the lower summit plateau and also hike down about 80-100' of the scree/slope between 13,900' and 14,000'. In short, patchy snow from summit down to 14,000' and continous snow from 13,900' all the way down to 10,500' on the road.

Will try to get some photos out here on Friday.
lodgling wrote:What about if you continue up the Henson Creek Road towards Capitol City? Do you know if it is dry any further up? Thanks again.
Henson Creek road is closed/gated right after the Nellie Creek Trailhead.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

Thanks Bill.
Now who's going down there with at least 10" of snow in the forecast???.......sheeesh...Sunday????....we'll see how it turns out.
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

Thanks for the updates - now if only this weather would cooperate
When you come to a fork in the road take it
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Until we get a TR up, here's a photo of conditions in the basin, yesterday. Of course, that looks like it's going to get covered up with more!

The second stream crossing:

Along the upper road, plenty of small mud slides and rocks:
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs