Mount of the Holy Cross Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kyle the climber
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Mount of the Holy Cross Question

Post by Kyle the climber »

Has the north-ish face of Mount of the Holy Cross been climbed or is it unclimbed?
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Re: Mount of the Holy Cross Question

Post by benners »

I remember Kiefer saying he thought that it was unclimbed, but in my opinion regardless of whether or not there's been a recorded ascent, it's nearly impossible to know for sure. The problem with claiming first ascents/descents in Colorado is that people have been climbing and skiing here for a long time, climbing Colorado peaks goes all the way back to the Native Americans. The fact is that, relative to other ranges in the world, peaks here in Colorado can be accessed very easily, and there are quite a few people who get out into the mountains each year. This, coupled with the fact that many (maybe most) people who climb do not post on the internet or in mountaineering journals, makes it hard for me to believe the North Face of HC has never seen an ascent.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mount of the Holy Cross Question

Post by Scott P »

Supposedly, it has several technical routes on it.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.