If you have, or know someone who has, an unregistered PLB

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

If you have, or know someone who has, an unregistered PLB

Post by tenpins »

please register it. when hits come up, they inevitably go down to our volunteer SAR teams. We have to begin a response, even if we end up being able to do nothing about it. This is trending towards becoming a massive sink in volunteer hours. Each one of us can only give X number of hours until work and family demand we miss the next call. Thanks.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Re: If you have, or know someone who has, an unregistered PLB

Post by glacierPaul »

With this seemingly becoming more of a problem, shouldn't the store selling the item have to register the PLB for the customer(similar to a cell phone)? I could see buying one as a gift a problem, unless you gave the store all pertinent info for the user. This just seems easy to resolve, so SAR, sheriff's, etc. won't waste time or money.
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

What does the registration do and how does an unregistered PLB cause SAR a headache? I thought they just sent out a signal saying someone needs help at these coords. Thanks.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The problem is false alarms, like the guy from Boulder earlier this year who thought his PLB was an avalanche beacon. If SAR doesn't know who owns the unit, they can't tell him to stop.

What they could do is refuse to answer calls for help from unregistered PLBs, but that goes against the nature of the search & rescue community. It's a conundrum, for sure, but maybe a little "tough love" is in order.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

when the signal is moving(say, Denver to COS in an hour), or from somewhere in town, it is obviously not a legitmate activation. If a unit is registered, we can pursue a normal investigation with phone calls or sending a deputy to an address.

Having said that, ponder for a minute the liability of not responding to an activation, regardless of registration or location.

A better process during the sale, and more education for sale persons handling this merchandise would go a long way to help.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

But you'll still be vulnerable to false alarms from unregistered units. And are volunteer SAR teams really liable if they don't respond to a call, especially if that call is suspect (because it's unregistered)? Many local police departments won't respond to home burglar alarm calls without verification; why should SAR be any different?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

Thanks for the info! I have a PLB; though still in the box at home. I'll be sure to register it.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

PLBs are a new-ish tech, and while your analogy to the false home alarms is a good one, there are probably hundreds of thousands of such instances on which they can rest their procedures. PLBs dont have that history. To cut to the chase, if all PLBs were registered, which they are supposed to be, we would have options other than mounting a response. The whole deal about PLBs looked good on paper. Seems the big monkey wrench is the unwillingness or inability for folks to register them.

BobbyFinn, please dont foget to register that unit [-o<