Cristo Couloir avalanche conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Cristo Couloir avalanche conditions

Post by taylorzs »

I am looking for any snowpack/avalanche information regarding the current conditions of the Cristo Couloir on Quandary. Anyone dug any pits and done tests here or on similar aspect/elevation lines in the Ten Mile the last day or two? I would love to know any specific stability test scores(shovel shear, compression, ECT) that anyone could relay here and/or other observations. I would like to see if they are in line with my own observations in the area today. Thanks!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cristo Couloir avalanche conditions

Post by Hacksaw »

Sorry, it doesn't matter what someone else found in their snowpits. What I may have found today is not what your going to find a week from now.

Since we're going into spring conditions (plus a nasty dust layer) local contions can be VERY different in a short distance, and they can and do change a lot during the day and at different elevations.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
taylorzs
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

All right, I was hoping to not attract generalized statements like this but...here we go.

"Sorry, it doesn't matter what someone else found in their snowpits. What I may have found today is not what your going to find a week from now. "

Well actually Hacsaw it does matter what someone else found in their snowpits yesterday. A large part of CAIC reports are based around what observers like you and me call in. I know this, I call in backcountry observations to the CAIC on a biweekly basis. Sharing information is very important. The later part of your statement is obviously true but I don't know why you even posted it. Anyone who spends time regularly in the backcountry knows this. Did you read my profile before you posted your statement? The Cristo couloir is a large commiting line and I was looking for additional pertinent info regarding the line to add to the avalanche report I listen to every day, observations from friends, and my own almost daily observations from traveling in the backcountry. I figured someone(probably several people) from 14ers were out in the Ten Mile/Mosquito yesterday and might have additional specific observations that might be useful for me to know. Maybe someone skied the line yesterday? It was a beautiful day much like today and tommorrow when I am probably headed up the peak and trying to make decisions as to which line on Quandary I will be riding. The snow conditions will probably be similar(although they may change some as this weather will move us more towards a freeze thaw cycle).

"Since we're going into spring conditions (plus a nasty dust layer) local conditions can be VERY different in a short distance, and they can and do change a lot during the day and at different elevations." =D> Bravo! another statement stating the obvious.

Your post relies on generalized statements relating to yearly avalanche cycles typical of the spring in Colorado. There was nothing there with any specific information. You in no way answered my question. I don't mean to be too much of a dick but if you are going to bust my balls, I will do the same :D especially after I did look at your profile and saw your website and profession. As I am sure you know the snow that fell in this last storm was extremely varied from drainage to drainage and in each different mountain range across the Summit-Vail zone. This and the nature of spring snowpack variability makes it harder to get accurate info for this specific line from the CAIC and hence why I posted here looking for additional info. I am sorry if I offended you with this but you kind of put yourself out there lecturing me instead of trying to offer help. I don't dislike you and I will shake your hand if I ever do meet you in person I just had to return the favor a bit. Happy turns,

Now, does anyone else have any pertinent information? Anyone have any specific information answering the question I asked in my original post above?
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Here's a shot of Cristo Couloir that I took from North Star Mountain yesterday:

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
taylorzs
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Nice photo Greenhouseguy! So we did ride Cristo yesterday. We skinned the east ridge and dropped in on the Cristo Couloir. At the top we dug two pits at the top of the couloir. Both were about 5' deep. Here are the results of subsequent tests and observations:
-The first column compression test we did(in the top of the couloir) scored a 30. It took a good bit of pounding on the block afterwards to get it to move. When it did it moved at the basil facets. We picked up the block and threw it on the ground. At this point the column fractured in two places revealing two other potential weak layers that where unreactive to this test.
-The second CCTest showed small fracture propagation at 18 but did not break off completely or move any more all the way up to 30 afterwords. The fracture propagation occured about 1.5' beneath the snow surface on an ice layer. No other movement occured.
-There was a boot track climbing up the couloir and ski tracks in it from the previous day. Both pits showed multiple ice layers in the upper snowpack and basil facets at the base of the snowpack. Both seemed less reactive in the snow than earlier season's observations. The snow pack was by no means homogenized though. We rode down about 9:00am.
I believe that there would be potential earlier than normal in the day for wet avalanches because any melting water in the upper snowpack would pool on ice layers in the snow pack and generate wet avalanches easily. There definitely seems to be a trend towards a melt freeze cycle but like the CAIC says we are not there yet. I do not belive fresh slab build up on the upper parts of Cristo up to be a problem currently on this slope. This drainage seems to have received little or no snow from this last storm. Wet slabs are a currrent issue as well as any fresh slabs that might develop with any new potential snow.
I will try to get a TR up soon. Zach

aHudge
14ers: 41  7 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by aHudge »

taylorzs wrote:Nice photo Greenhouseguy! So we did ride Cristo yesterday. We skinned the east ridge and dropped in on the Cristo Couloir. At the top we dug two pits at the top of the couloir. Both were about 5' deep. Here are the results of subsequent tests and observations:
-The first column compression test we did(in the top of the couloir) scored a 30. It took a good bit of pounding on the block afterwards to get it to move. When it did it moved at the basil facets. We picked up the block and threw it on the ground. At this point the column fractured in two places revealing two other potential weak layers that where unreactive to this test.
-The second CCTest showed small fracture propagation at 18 but did not break off completely or move any more all the way up to 30 afterwords. The fracture propagation occured about 1.5' beneath the snow surface on an ice layer. No other movement occured.
-There was a boot track climbing up the couloir and ski tracks in it from the previous day. Both pits showed multiple ice layers in the upper snowpack and basil facets at the base of the snowpack. Both seemed less reactive in the snow than earlier season's observations. The snow pack was by no means homogenized though. We rode down about 9:00am.
I believe that there would be potential earlier than normal in the day for wet avalanches because any melting water in the upper snowpack would pool on ice layers in the snow pack and generate wet avalanches easily. There definitely seems to be a trend towards a melt freeze cycle but like the CAIC says we are not there yet. I do not belive fresh slab build up on the upper parts of Cristo up to be a problem currently on this slope. This drainage seems to have received little or no snow from this last storm. Wet slabs are a currrent issue as well as any fresh slabs that might develop with any new potential snow.
I will try to get a TR up soon. Zach
That's great info, thanks a lot for taking the time to post!!
rmiller
14ers: 58  14  5 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (2)

Post by rmiller »

I'm looking to ski this line soon as well. I appreciate the info!
killingcokes
14ers: 45  42  2 
13ers: 125 4
Trip Reports (64)

Post by killingcokes »

Skied a very similar line on the South Face of Buckskin yesterday. Very similar as far as slope angle, aspect and wind loading patterns. I was fairly surprised to see a lack of melting evidence on the south to sw exposures in the surface snow. The wind loaded se exposures were melting rapidly but skied great, you just need to get them early and if you can't you need to not have them over you. I would expect this trend to continue until we get more snow. I wouldn't expect the next round of new snow to stick around very long as the new dust layer will rapidly do away with any new accumulation. It will also help to stabilize the snow pack on SW - S - SE and maybe even East though it seems a bit early for that. As with most spring endeavors early is the key but not too early. I would start climbing what I intended to ski as stability allows this sort of inspection, and it will allow for the timing of a proper corn harvest

Stability seemed very good in my opinion on those aspects (SW- S - SE) as the effect of the previous melt freeze has done a good job of bridging.

Remember that changing the aspect even a few degrees on the compass can have a dramatic effect of the snow conditions and the rate of snow softening.

I'll be putting up a TR on my site in a few days. I'm waiting for software for my new camera.

We also skied the ENE Face of Loveland Mountain and saw almost winterlike conditions. This was also reasonably stable, though the stability was from a very thick hard slab bridge which always makes me a bit nervous. I think it will be at least a few weeks or even a month before some of the steeper north facing lines will be in condition.