San Luis Peak: Stewart Creek or West Willow Creek?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which way is better?

Stewart Creek
50%
West Willow Creek
50%

Total votes: 2
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: San Luis Peak: Stewart Creek or West Willow Creek?

Post by JosephG »

Presume you mean for summer. Stewart Creek is an easy--though long--drive in, and the hike itself is scenic and gentle. Theoretically, the meadows are great to see moose; I saw none, but hikers on the days immediately before and after me saw some. Can't comment on West Willow Creek, but generally, I opt for scenic hiking over scenic driving, since it's easier/more enjoyable to take in.
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

I'm looking to do San Luis the weekend of 7-10-10, so I'm interested in how this poll goes.

Seems West Willow Creek is the least popular of the two, which makes it more enticing :-k . Not to mention the drive to the SC TH sounds like as much fun as eating glass.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I like the town of Creede for one. The Creede Repertory Theater is cool. The road isn't all that special from Creede to the Willow Creek trailhead, but the views on the trail are much more spectacular than from the Stewart Creek side. It will require more energy to reach the summit from that side though. I don't think I would say that it has less people than Stewart Creek though, I saw more on the Creede side.