Elbert / Early June Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaypeak88
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert / Early June Question

Post by jaypeak88 »

Hi all!

I'm coming out this summer the weekend of June 5-6 and am looking to do a relatively easy class 1-2 climb like Elbert, (did Pyramid and Ellingwood last year).

Obviously it varies from year to year, and lots of snow can fall in April and May, but I'm wondering what you all would think about Elbert this early in June with regards to how much of the trail would be melted out. I've looked at reports from years past and it looks as though the upper 1,500' +- feet of the route are usually still snow covered. Any other thoughts or reccommendations?

Thanks a lot!
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Elbert / Early June Question

Post by Kevin8020 »

I climbed Elbert from the South Mt. Elbert trailhead (East Ridge Route) last year on June 7th. We were able to drive all the way to the 4WD trailhead. We had absolutely not snow on the route until we made it to 12,500ft. From there it was a hard spring snowpack. I didn't have crampons with me that day, and they really would have come in handy. I'd highly recommend the climb though, just be prepared!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
mtnjam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjam »

The snowpack for the Arkansas Valley seems to higher than normal this year. I say seems, because I do not live in CO. But... last year we learned about the snotel site.
http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow/w ... _time.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am sure there are a lot of folks who have more experience understanding what the numbers mean than I; but I simply looked at the snowpack levels and tried to match the numbers to trip reports. Last year it was snowy in June everywhere we went.
Good luck!
http://www.cloudhiking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

When I look at routes early in the season like this I shoot for the routes that will get the most sun. And I always have a back up plan or spot to hike. In the case of Elbert it would be the southeast trail by Twinlakes. In my opinoin the steepest section is in the treeline after that it is a steady grade.
I was out there last year in mid June and there was still snow on trails at that time and even snowed a couple of inches while we were there around the Front Range
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.