Purist or an Adventure?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alaskan ridgerunner
Trip Reports (0)

Purist or an Adventure?

Post by alaskan ridgerunner »

Just wondering what the percentage is of hikers/climbers that adhere to the 3000' rule for the 14ers. Is it the destination, or being true to the rule? How do the purist feel about it? What do the weekend warrior think? Should they count as being climbed?
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Purist or an Adventure?

Post by mtngoat »

While I can certainly appreciate the 3000' rule, I just enjoy being out there. So I guess for me it is more about the time spent in the wilderness (relatively speaking) than adding a notch. I judge my climbs on whether I earned it or not, regardless of 3000'. There are some climbs I have done that are under 3000' that took quite a bit of energy and fortitude to reach the summit, and others, like walking the road up Evans...that gained 3000' but didn't feel earned - thus, no Evans on my list. Evans will need to be done on x-country skis for me to earn that one...or a bike ride capped by a colouir climb.

I am not competing for anything. If someone says they don't count, than that is more about their needs of self justification than my accomplishments. Either way, I have a great amount of respect for those who tenaciously adhere to the 3000' rule, but don't feel the need to use a random number to justify what I have earned. To each their own, I'll see you at the top if we are both lucky and we can chat on the way down.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnum420 »

I do not subscribe to the 3000ft rule. I feel you should do them how YOU want to do them... not how someone else is telling you they need to be done. I think the important part is getting out and doing them, not worrying about some rule someone made up to make the peak "count." If you want to adhear to the 3000ft rule then more power to you but for me, I'm fine with trailhead to summit back to the trailhead.

That being said, if I finish the 14ers, I might go back and resummit the ones I didnt get 3000ft on, but I think there are probably alot more 13ers I would rather do than reclimb some of the 14ers.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Maybe after I climb all the 14ers for the first time I will worry about the 3,000 foot rule on the second round, for now I am not too concerned about it. I second mtngoat's sentiments... particularly about not doing this for competition. I would also add that as someone who has climbed way more 12-13,000 foot peaks in the state then 14ers, I can appreciate the fact that while you may start at a high trailhead, things like remote access (7-14 mile approaches), class 3-4 scrambling, elevation loss and gain while summiting all outweigh the 3,000 foot rule - for me at least...

For example, if you make a 7 mile approach from a trail head at 10,000 feet to a base camp at 11,000 feet and then climb to 12,500 the fact that you are 500 feet short of the 3,000 foot mark seems irrelevant.

Just my opinion...

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Simple... just do what you want to do and don't listen to other climbers that try to put parameters on your adventure.

Personally, I think the term "purist" is goofy. Sure, many of us have climbed them all using 3k but that doesn't make us better or make our accomplishment "better" than yours. It simply means we hit a goal. There will always be "purists" that question the validity of another person's accomplishments. The funny part is that their own accomplishments can always be "upstaged" by some that starts a bit lower, climbs only in worse weather, climbs only in January, climbs 4k on every peak... I think you get my point. The possibility for people to set the bar higher is endless.

Have fun and don't forget to take some pictures!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
peakmind
14ers: 58 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (32)

Post by peakmind »

The key is know know why you climb in the first place. Then it is easy to know if rules or competition applies to you.
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

All the previous comments are great. If you feel like you climbed it, you climbed it. It's more about being there, climbing, and enjoying yourself more than anything else.
ThinAir
14ers: 38  10 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by ThinAir »

If you feel like you climbed it, you climbed it.
This is the loosest standard in the history of standards, Its the anti-standard. :evil:

It's more about being there, climbing, and enjoying yourself more than anything else.
Couldn't agree w you more. :D
The map aint the territory
Skeeter Westgate
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skeeter Westgate »

I strictly adhere to the 2,999' 11 1/2" rule myself.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

I follow climbing rules religiously. When I get the summit, I thank God I got there. When I get back to the trailhead, I thank God I got back OK. When I get home and on the couch, I thank God I get to put my feet up!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alaskan ridgerunner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alaskan ridgerunner »

Thank you for who all replied =D> . I haven't climbed a 14'er yet... but am looking forward to tackling them all.