Tuning Fork or Dead Dog info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aHudge
14ers: 41  7 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Tuning Fork or Dead Dog info

Post by aHudge »

jam6880 wrote:The road to grays and torreys is snow packed all the to the top. 4x4s can get to the intersection of grizzly gulch and stevens gulch. The snow on the north side is wind blown and a inch of crust on top and a thick hard under coating. I would wait a week or two to ski the forks.
Thanks.. what did you do up there? Any photos? The more info the better!
seekanddestroy99
14ers: 44  11  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by seekanddestroy99 »

Conditions were pretty bomber in the Dead Dog today (4/10/10) Here's the POV, a full TR to come tomorrow.

http://jonathanjay.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... uloir-pov/
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

hudge I was just messin around with my new dynafits so no pics or videos(it looked better on the deaddog side from seekanddestroy's video). There is plenty of snow from top to bottom. I skiied around the 12000ft area with the small chutes and trees. also around 12 noon the snow in the gulch was getting soft and mashed potatos like. the snow is likly to melt on the bottom faster so if you give it a week or two you will walk less miles.
seekanddestroy99
14ers: 44  11  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by seekanddestroy99 »

Photo and text TR

http://jonathanjay.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ir-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G-VO
14ers: 51  7  7 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by G-VO »

The Tuning Fork did not look good for skiing this past Saturday. I've done 4 winter climbs of Torreys and I've never seen the North face that bare.
doubleA
Trip Reports (8)

Post by doubleA »

If all goes right, I should be skiing the Tuning Fork on Thursday via Loveland Pass. I will post a TR on Sunday if it happens.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Perhaps you could take a look at Emperor & report how coverage is there. Anyone have recent conditions on that line? Thx, P