What to do this weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Swampy
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

What to do this weekend?

Post by Swampy »

I have Saturday through Monday available to do whatever I want (my wife is gone)! Question is, where do I go and what do I do? I'd like to make an attempt on a 14er and I'm happy to camp but I'm not sure which routes are in good enough condition to give it a go. I really don't care as long as I get into the mountains. Been cramped up in Denver too many weekends in a row.

Any suggestions?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: What to do this weekend?

Post by Jim Davies »

Be prepared for deep snow, or stay below 11K'. Lost Creek Wilderness might be nice right about now.

Quandary's east ridge is probably your best bet for a well-packed 14er route with an accessible trailhead.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Swampy
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Swampy »

Jim Davies wrote:Be prepared for deep snow, or stay below 11K'. Lost Creek Wilderness might be nice right about now.

Quandary's east ridge is probably your best bet for a well-packed 14er route with an accessible trailhead.
That's what I was afraid of. But beggars can't be choosers. I haven't been to Lost Creek Wilderness so that worth looking at.
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Post by PolishPete »

We're heading up Longs this weekend.

Original plan was to leave the standard TH on Saturday morning, roughly 3 am. However, due to the current weather, that will either be pushed back to Sunday at 3 am...or go up Saturday and camp splitting it into a 2 day ordeal. We originally wanted to do this in a 1 day thing but since there's likely some deep snow, thinking maybe we should camp to regroup some energy before we get up on the mountain. You're welcome to join us if you'd like.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Swampy,
If you don't have it already, pick up a copy of Roach's Lost Creek Wilderness guide. Gives great info including which trailheads are accessible in winter.