WEEKEND March 13th-14th

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skybobo
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

WEEKEND March 13th-14th

Post by skybobo »

Also looking for recommendations on trailheads this weekend that would only need 2WD access (my 4x4 is in the shop).

or

Are there any groups heading out this weekend, I might be able to tag along with?
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: WEEKEND March 13th-14th

Post by JosephG »

Not heading out myself, but La Plata and Quandary are 2WD accessible.
Barring a massive snow dump, of course.
And, of course, lots of other THs are 2WD "accessible," just a question of how long an approach/hike you can weather.
PM for details.

Check here, too:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

skybobo wrote:Also looking for recommendations on trailheads this weekend that would only need 2WD access (my 4x4 is in the shop).

or

Are there any groups heading out this weekend, I might be able to tag along with?
Yes...there is a group climbing Humboldt. Check out the thread: Weekend...HUMBOLDT Mar. 13

It's 2WD and pavement all the way to where people will most likely be parking at Colfax Lane & Country Rd. 120. If the sun comes out on Friday as the forecast says, you may be able to drive a mile or 2 up the 120 road.
Last edited by globreal on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
skybobo
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skybobo »

I appreciate the resposes guys (and I always welcome more)! I might have to throw my name in the hat for Humbolt. Although La Plata is pretty tempting!
JosephG wrote:And, of course, lots of other THs are 2WD "accessible," just a question of how long an approach/hike you can weather.
***oh...how true it is***
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Micah is doing La Plata on Sunday (most likely.)

We'll be doing Humboldt on Saturday and would welcome company - two groups, one at 6am and one at about 8 am. Both groups should be small enough to be manageable.

Weather slightly better on Saturday, and slightly better in the Sangre. Avy conditions unknown (per CAIC) but the Sawatch just came off a high rating, and the other southern mountains are at moderate, so I think the Sangre should be manageable. We'll be doing mostly ridge travel anyway.

PM if interested, or post over on the "connections" thread.

Jim

PS - If luck is really with us, Britt will decide to forego a day of skiing and come climb with us. (Or maybe he'll try the Nordic thing with me on that first three miles to the ridge? : )
thespoonybard
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thespoonybard »

My wife and I will be making a go at La Plata (NW Ridge) this weekend after deciding against Longs. PM me for details if you want to tag along.

With a little luck...
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Micah is doing La Plata on Sunday (most likely.)
we might get some trail broken for us...haha
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

themuffinknight wrote:My wife and I will be making a go at La Plata (NW Ridge) this weekend after deciding against Longs. PM me for details if you want to tag along.

With a little luck...
Unless there has been a whole lot of snow up there this week at La Plata, we shouldn't even need snowshoes according to the most recent beta. There were at least 2 groups up there last weekend. 2 of us are looking at an afternoon hike Saturday to treeline just before the crux with a summit on Sunday. If you want to make a larger group, just PM me, otherwise hopefully I will see you at the top!

It won't be my first time breaking trail for someone this season! :lol:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

We'll be doing Humboldt on Saturday and would welcome company - two groups, one at 6am and one at about 8 am. Both groups should be small enough to be manageable.

Weather slightly better on Saturday, and slightly better in the Sangre. Avy conditions unknown (per CAIC) but the Sawatch just came off a high rating, and the other southern mountains are at moderate, so I think the Sangre should be manageable. We'll be doing mostly ridge travel anyway.

PM if interested, or post over on the "connections" thread.

Jim

PS - If luck is really with us, Britt will decide to forego a day of skiing and come climb with us. (Or maybe he'll try the Nordic thing with me on that first three miles to the ridge? : )
Yes Jim, I've decided to do Humboldt.
Fast Jimm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fast Jimm »

mountainmicah83 wrote:
themuffinknight wrote:My wife and I will be making a go at La Plata (NW Ridge) this weekend after deciding against Longs. PM me for details if you want to tag along.

With a little luck...
Unless there has been a whole lot of snow up there this week at La Plata, we shouldn't even need snowshoes according to the most recent beta. There were at least 2 groups up there last weekend. 2 of us are looking at an afternoon hike Saturday to treeline just before the crux with a summit on Sunday. If you want to make a larger group, just PM me, otherwise hopefully I will see you at the top!

It won't be my first time breaking trail for someone this season! :lol:
I am curious about where you're getting your information on La Plata being safe for travel right now. The CAIC lists the slopes in the Sawatch range right now as CONSIDERABLE on all slopes near and above treeline, or that human triggered avalanches are probable. Do you have other information? I'm planning a trip of my own later in the month and am pretty dismayed at what looks like pretty bad conditions overall at this time.
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

I could be interested in La Plata on Sunday. Let me know if there is a group going up that day, and when you are hitting the trailhead.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Fast Jimm wrote:I am curious about where you're getting your information on La Plata being safe for travel right now. The CAIC lists the slopes in the Sawatch range right now as CONSIDERABLE on all slopes near and above treeline, or that human triggered avalanches are probable. Do you have other information? I'm planning a trip of my own later in the month and am pretty dismayed at what looks like pretty bad conditions overall at this time.
La Plata can be done avoiding most avalanche terrain, but an experienced eye is necessary. If by later in the month you mean a couple weeks, I expect things will have improved substantially by then (of course, only time will tell).

Everyone heading up this weekend, try to stay off slopes over 30 degrees near and above treeline. We don't need another avalanche death.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by catullus »

Bean wrote:
Fast Jimm wrote:I am curious about where you're getting your information on La Plata being safe for travel right now. The CAIC lists the slopes in the Sawatch range right now as CONSIDERABLE on all slopes near and above treeline, or that human triggered avalanches are probable. Do you have other information? I'm planning a trip of my own later in the month and am pretty dismayed at what looks like pretty bad conditions overall at this time.
La Plata can be done avoiding most avalanche terrain, but an experienced eye is necessary. If by later in the month you mean a couple weeks, I expect things will have improved substantially by then (of course, only time will tell).

Everyone heading up this weekend, try to stay off slopes over 30 degrees near and above treeline. We don't need another avalanche death.
Be careful on the "crux" of the winter route of La Plata. It's certainly more than 30 degrees, although there is some nice anchoring in the scree.