Crestone Needle Ice Routes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kyle the climber
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Needle Ice Routes?

Post by Kyle the climber »

I have been doing some research on the Crestones and found some interesting info on a couloir on the northern side of the mountain first climbed by Arnold-Micheal. I was wondering if anyone has seen it or climbed it, it looks like a good climb. I was thinking about snow shoeing up south colony road to check it out during spring break. So any info would be great.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Crestone Needle Ice Routes?

Post by Kiefer »

Check out a book by William M. Bueler.
It's called "Roof of the Rockies-A History of Colorado Mountaineering".
The local library or REI should have it.
Weird. I was JUST looking at Crestone Needle in this book earlier this morning (pgs. 123-125).
I might have some pics of this wall when I was up there a few years back. I'll post if I can find them.
From what I can remember, the Michel Route & India Route were fairly recessed. Don't know how often they get climbed.
I have high interest in a route to the left of Ellingwood called, Whitney.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Here's a shot of the wall around the East Buttress.
Click on the link to get the full-sized edition.
Hope this helps ya. 8)
Eastern Wall
Eastern Wall
100_0562Labeled.JPG (146.65 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Full Size via SP
Kyle the climber
Trip Reports (0)

thanks for picture! Has anyone recently been up these routes and have pictures? recently being the last few years :D
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

in a major navigational screwup on my part I did the Whitney route unroped about 10 years ago...

I thought I was heading up Broken Hand in the fog and ended up on the face....not exactly my finest hour - spent a lot of time once I was up at 13,300 off the route thanking God. I did in September when there was no ice
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

We ran into a guy on the top of Humboldt back in mid-february that had just climbed straight up the gulley labeled "Whitney Route" on Kiefer's photo the previous day. He intended to do the traverse too but ran out of daylight. He had climbed it solo with only one tool. He estimated that it was M6 in spots. He had a thick Russian sounding accent and claimed that he had climbed all of the 14ers solo in the last 12 months (most in winter), with the exception of Culebra, which he was on his way to poach. Oh yeah and the weather was pretty bad both days up there. We also noticed that he post holed through very deep snow all the way up to the lakes where he set his camp.

No way to verify the story but he seemed legit. Jcwhite can verify that we at least heard it. If true, makes me feel like a candyass.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyle the climber
Trip Reports (0)

hmmm interesting story i have never heard that one before neat :lol:
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Kyle the climber wrote:hmmm interesting story i have never heard that one before neat :lol:
My story is 100% true. That is what we encountered. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. Having spent 10 years on Wall St. I feel fairly capable of separating the wheat from the chaff. I think the guy was telling the truth or a very close version of it.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I believe the point labeled at "Crestone Peak" in that photo is actually "East Crestone"

I really find that "India" route interesting...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm familar with the route only by perusing cryptic guidebook entries from years gone past. That said, what's the beta on this route, ie is it a steep snow slog in the spring or is there any reliable alpine ice? Seasonal to be sure, my guess is it's an early May-ish ice/snow ascent, if at all? Just a guess. Any info/ideas? Thanks,
-Tom
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by GravityPilot »

Sounds like a late April mission to me. Coincidence has it that I'm free the end of April and my girlfriend's name is Whitney. Destiny? Could be.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

90% sure I'll be in Yosemite in late April, but if later attempts materialize and someone needs a partner I'm game...depending on family/work/weather issues, of course.
-Tom