How is Long Peak Keyhole??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AdamC
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

How is Long Peak Keyhole??

Post by AdamC »

What is Longs Peak Keyhole route like right now, if anyone knows?
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: How is Long Peak Keyhole??

Post by JosephG »

See
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Good luck.
AdamC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdamC »

thank you much
AdamC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdamC »

Wish I could go with someone but I cant get out there till the 21st earliest.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I am familiar with the route in winter and was up there yesterday with a really great collection of climbers. We stopped at the Keyhole for a variety of reasons but I think all would agree it was a great day.

The route seemed to have a tad more snow than is the norm for this time of the year, but the recent warm temps should aid snow consolidation. The winter crux of the Keyhole route, IMO, is the Ledges section. In the summer no big deal but in the winter a micro-slide is possible and given the slabby terrain a self arrest is probably near impossible. Someone truly comfortable rock scrambling in crampons should be fine, but anyone thinking they will have either near-summer conditions, or conversely solid winter postholing will be way over his/her respective head. Again, just my view. Not expert terrain, but IMO if you pop the consequences could be dire; the runnout is ugly. Who knows? You may find it a cake walk, Longs is often fickle.

Not sure of your experience so don't mean to preach. I will say (if you've not done this before) that a summit attempt of Longs in the winter is usually a long (pun intended) day, and in the winter things almost always go slooower. You have to have the fluids/food/clothing/headlamp/navigation skills to exit in the dark if things take longer than expected. If you examine the circumstances of the winter deaths up there, it's not so much the technical issues as a cause of death as it is the lack of preparation (route finding, hypothermia, etc.)

Climb safe, enjoy, good luck!

-Tom
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Here is a picture of us starting across the ledges on Sat. We ended up turning around a while after this because we felt the snow was not offering enough stability to be as safe as we wanted due to a weak layer from new snow the day before. As Tom said, a micro-slide would send you for a ride nobody would want to take. I dug a few small pits further along the ledges and there were places that would easily fail to around 15 inches and other places that were great. I have not been to the top in full winter conditions but what I saw a few days ago is very doable as long as the conditions allow. If you go, really be aware of the snow you're on so you have fun and be safe.
Attachments
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg (63.78 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
AdamC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdamC »

Thanks a bunch guys! Very helpful. Also looking for someone to climb with in about a week and a half if your interested.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

AdamC wrote:Thanks a bunch guys! Very helpful. Also looking for someone to climb with in about a week and a half if your interested.
Maybe. What are your planned dates? Have you done something like this before?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
AdamC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdamC »

Plan on going between the 21-29th

PM sent.