14ers.com User Statistics Review - 3/5/2010

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 14ers.com User Statistics Review - 3/5/2010

Post by Doug Shaw »

glodder wrote:I mean, why exactly would anyone throw BS out there on a 14ers.com peak checklist? Probably the most compelling reason would be someone who's concerned about what other 14ers.com members think of their climbing results and abilities.
You must be new here! On behalf of the anonymized web jockies who have no responsibility to answer for what they say or do online, I'd like to welcome you to the internet.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I kinda expected Sherman to be in the bottom. Other than some mining structures and okay views from the ridge, it's fairly boring. And short--it's the only 14er that didn't feel like a 14er afterward.
I thought it was fairly interesting in the winter. From the saddle to the summit was pretty nice and better than I expected, scenery wise:

The rest of the album is below:

http://www.summitpost.org/parent/254576 ... -2006.html

In summer I can see how it might be a tedious choss pile though. In winter I found Sherman to be more interesting than peaks like Bross or Elbert.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

Antero: I took the easiest route and slogging up to 13,700 on a four-wheeled vehicle road was pretty boring. It was also a very hot day with traffic. If I choose to do it again, are there any routes that will get it off of my bottom feeder list?
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Skip Perkins wrote:Antero: I took the easiest route and slogging up to 13,700 on a four-wheeled vehicle road was pretty boring. It was also a very hot day with traffic. If I choose to do it again, are there any routes that will get it off of my bottom feeder list?
Oh yeah. Try these in winter. Whole nuther world. And a beautiful, quiet world it is...

(I should point out that I am not qualified to comment, really...having done most of these "popular" routes only in winter... big smiles... maybe I should not be on the internet extolling the virtues of winter climbing... : )
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Scott P wrote:
I kinda expected Sherman to be in the bottom. Other than some mining structures and okay views from the ridge, it's fairly boring. And short--it's the only 14er that didn't feel like a 14er afterward.
I thought it was fairly interesting in the winter. From the saddle to the summit was pretty nice and better than I expected, scenery wise:

The rest of the album is below:

http://www.summitpost.org/parent/254576 ... -2006.html

In summer I can see how it might be a tedious choss pile though. In winter I found Sherman to be more interesting than peaks like Bross or Elbert.
Scott, I agree. While Sherman was not my favorite this winter, I have to say, that summit ridge was pretty fun. FD: I've never seen the route in summer. - J
glodder
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by glodder »

Nice work, Jim! So it looks like Columbia claims the "Least Favorite" ranked 14er title with only 3 favorite votes, narrowly edging out Bross which only had 4.
Doug Shaw wrote:
glodder wrote:I mean, why exactly would anyone throw BS out there on a 14ers.com peak checklist? Probably the most compelling reason would be someone who's concerned about what other 14ers.com members think of their climbing results and abilities.
You must be new here! On behalf of the anonymized web jockies who have no responsibility to answer for what they say or do online, I'd like to welcome you to the internet.
LOL, Doug.

TP
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Skip Perkins wrote:Antero: I took the easiest route and slogging up to 13,700 on a four-wheeled vehicle road was pretty boring. It was also a very hot day with traffic. If I choose to do it again, are there any routes that will get it off of my bottom feeder list?
I did a "straight shot" up the west side of Antero this fall. Left the road just above the second creek and went straight up the west face/ridge. Tops out directly on the summit and avoids the road traffic.

Or do it in spring when the road is not open yet. I did it in April once as well, some of the gullies on the west get filled in with snow and you can don some crampons and an axe to make a moderate snowclimb and cut the switchbacks to make it a little more interesting.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Try the Raspberry Gulch route. Much more interesting and you'll never get anywhere near that 4X4 road:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=2457
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

I believe reported list integrity is fairly accurate on this site. At least with the folks I have met. An interesting thought though. However, falsely claiming something in mountaineering is an age old practice and historically a great way to forever lose respect in a community.

Least favorite 14er? None of them for me, it's about the day. Cameron and Bross have been mentioned, but for me they were great. Did the Decalibron with my wife and a good friend 2 November days after we moved to this great state, no bad memories there. Also have had a couple of great days on Culebra. Very subjective. The stats are stimulating though. Keep them coming.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;