Quandray ski conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Quandray ski conditions

Post by GravityPilot »

daver wrote:thinking of heading up tomorrow. lot's of new snow today and tonight, plan on leaving the th at around 6am (summiting around 9am?) for east face descent, anyone been up there recently? i'll be snowshoeing in/out.

i'm a very conservative bc skier, hiked quandry a few summers ago but this will be my first 14er ski descent. i've been out a fair amount of bc days.

1 other person goin, anyone else interested?
3 man crew headed that way Friday probably about 90% sure. Lots of experience, very safe. Let me know if Thurs doesn't work out. If it does post some conditions. Cheers, safe travels.
ehcarley
14ers: 8  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ehcarley »

Climbed and snowboarded Quandary on Saturday March 2010. The Upper mountain had some of the worst snow conditions I have ever snowboarded on. Sasturgi, windblown, icy, hard slab crab. Mid mountain was crust over soft snow, and lower mountain was soft, nearly slush.
jtdudley
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jtdudley »

Climbed to ~13,000' today (Sunday March 14). The winter storm advisory did not let me down. Howling winds and lots of snow. 4-6 inches fell in the 4 hours I was up there. Lower bowl had some good powder over crust turns with a few signs of instability (no whoopfing, but poor stability results with pit compression tests). Was able to ski cleanly back to the car through the lower bowl and the mellow glades. I was unable to see the upper bowl due to blowing snow and often white-out conditions but I would assume a fair amount of snow was deposited in the bowl from the sky and from the wind. Be conservative with route selections right now due to new drifted snow over the crust layers. No pictures, sorry.

Also, lost a cell phone up there today. I assume it fell out at the TH and got covered in snow. I don't have much hope for finding it, but figure I would post I lost it if it turns up in the spring.