Pikes Peak avalanche info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Pikes Peak avalanche info

Post by tmathews »

Does anyone have another resource other than the CAIC for avalanche conditions around Pikes Peak? Pikes is grouped into the Front Range Zone, but often times the conditions can vary greatly from the rest of the front range to its north. There is currently an avalanche warning issued for this zone, but I don't believe Pikes Peak got nearly the amount of snow that the area around Berthoud Pass received.

I emailed the CAIC and was told, "... Our zones probably aren’t perfect from a climate standpoint, & I know we will review some of the layout as we continue our forecasting operations. Pikes Peak is certainly an anomaly as it sticks out by itself so much. Not quite sure how to handle it but we are thinking about it." Don't get me wrong; I greatly value the work and the information that the CAIC provides, but I'm also wondering if the CAIC is generally accepted as the be-all and end-all for avy forecasting -- or are there other regional/local resources?
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Pikes Peak avalanche info

Post by Doug Shaw »

I know there is (or was) a local avy organization in the Aspen area (Roaring Fork Avalanche Center), but that's the only local "organization" I've heard about in CO other than CAIC. There are individuals who provide localized avalanche information on their websites, a la Eli Helmuth in RMNP.

I can't speak for them, but I bet if you wanted to be the guy to put together a team to do localized forecasting in the Pikes Peak area the CAIC might be able to use/redistribute your information (provided a measure of trust in its veracity, of course).
SkiNowWorkLater
14ers: 26  13  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Post by SkiNowWorkLater »

Roaring Fork Avalanche Center got absorbed by CAIC a couple of years ago. RFAC's forecasting area is now part of CAIC's Aspen zone.

I'm pretty sure there's no specific forecasting center for Pike's Peak alone. You can gain a general understanding of the snowpack in the area by looking at CAIC and other weather and snowfall sites; then go out there and make your own additional assessments before heading up.
badger4
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by badger4 »

The CAIC report for this morning, 3/2, mentioned around a new foot of snow in the Devils playground with "extensive cracking and collapsing". Lots of natural activity yesterday in the front range zone.
Couldn't have been asleep for more than three hours...
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

the only way to know what the conditions are, and how much snow the Peak has received is to get up there, or get firsthand reports. The Peak frequently gets inches or feet when COS get a dusting.

My buddy and I are pretty sure there was a slide in the south cirque the other day. Through binos from town I could see what I believe was a fracture line, and then a debris field. The Cornice Bowl above Glen Cove has already had some big releases. I know Pikes Peak is viewed by alot of folks as an easy and tame summit. I can assure you when you leave the trails it is just as bad as another other 14er. Unless you are itchin to get buried in a slide, I would excercise as much caution as on any of the "real" 14ers.
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

tenpins wrote: My buddy and I are pretty sure there was a slide in the south cirque the other day. Through binos from town I could see what I believe was a fracture line, and then a debris field.
I noticed that, too last week...I think it was the 4th I noticed it. Then saw the same thing (fracture line looking thing with a debris field) over the weekend when I had binocs with me.

From where I live the South side and what I can see of the West side looks like there's quite a bit of snow, and I know the natural slides have been active like crazy recently, so I'd just say to keep eyes and ears open, pay attention to where you are, go prepared, and just have fun.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

I climbed the south ridge on Pikes last week and noticed a slide on a s.e. facing aspect west of Boehmer Reservoir. This is the first time I've seen evidence of a slide on Pikes other than minor sloughs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5d ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good sized avalanche ran over the toll road a couple years ago from near the Little Italy couloir. The east face has a few areas that are steep enough to slide near treeline and near the 16 Golden Stairs, but I haven't heard of one in the 6 years I've lived here.
If you're worried about the Crags route being avy prone, it is rare but it could happen. The only place I can recall being steep enough to slide is near treeline. Typically the snow on Pikes is a bit more stable than the rest of the Front Range because it doesn't get hit with as many storms, but the snowpack seems to be excessively active this year. I've climbed the Y (north facing) as early as mid-April and have found great conditions, which you typically won't be able to get away with on Front Range peaks farther north.

As far as getting beta, sometimes the ranger will have some info on snow conditions around the road.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson