Mt Elbert this coming weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bandofbrothersomaha
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (6)

Mt Elbert this coming weekend

Post by bandofbrothersomaha »

We have a group of four that will be taking on Mt Elbert this coming weekend. Planning on camping at tree line for Thursday and Friday nights, with the ascent on Saturday - weather permitting.

Anyone been up there in the last week? Wondering about the snow conditions.

Thanks.
bandofbrothersomaha
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mt Elbert this coming weekend

Let's hope that scenario changes. Thanks.
mtsuji
14ers: 58  5  4 
13ers: 10 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtsuji »

Just did the Mt. Elbert trail today and it was an easy hike. Packed to timberline and the upper ridge was either bare or sastrugi. However on the drive home it was snowing really hard around Copper.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

mtsuji, which route? Did you see any snow-covered top-to-bottom lines, or were there roadblocks on all options?

I'd love to go if the weather cooperates (though I'll be more than happy if a blizzard rolls through) and there's top-to-bottom snow.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
mtsuji
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtsuji »

We started at the South Mount Elbert trailhead and took the Mount Elbert Trail. We didn't stick to snow the entire way but with a little creativity I don't think you would have a problem skiing from the summit all the way down. My buddy from Gunnison did the northeast ridge today and skiied from the summit though I'm not sure if he was able to find a continuous path.
bandofbrothersomaha
Trip Reports (6)

Nice. Thanks for the report mtsuji.

We will be going up the South trailhead as well.
mtsuji
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtsuji »

No problem! Good luck, let us know how it goes!
bandofbrothersomaha
Trip Reports (6)

Weather forcast is looking good. Understand from some recon on Snotel and other sites that there is a fair amount of snow at 11,000. We are heading up on Thursday morning from the South Mt Elbert trailhead if anyone wants to join us. Still planning on camping at timberline Thursday and Friday nights, with an ascent on Saturday.
SkiNowWorkLater
14ers: 26  13  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Post by SkiNowWorkLater »

We'll possibly be up there on Saturday for a summit ski. Anyone else planning to ski?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

SkiNowWorkLater wrote:We'll possibly be up there on Saturday for a summit ski. Anyone else planning to ski?
It's likely I'm going this weekend, not sure if I'm going to be dragging anyone along with me. Weather is starting to look like it'll cooperate. What route were you planning?
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
SkiNowWorkLater
14ers: 26  13  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Post by SkiNowWorkLater »

Bean wrote:It's likely I'm going this weekend, not sure if I'm going to be dragging anyone along with me. Weather is starting to look like it'll cooperate. What route were you planning?
Probably the South Elbert trail and back down. We have to be back in Aspen by 4:00PM so we'll be getting an early alpine start and moving pretty quickly.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Why do you guys prefer the south (Black Cloud) approach over the east approach?

(I haven't been up the south approach but we took the east approach, parking at the paved lot, last Nov 18.)

Thanks.