Anybody do La Plata or Shav/Tab this weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Anybody do La Plata or Shav/Tab this weekend?

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Would appreciate info if anyone was able to do La Plata or Shavano in the last couple of days.

Thanks,

Jim
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Anybody do La Plata or Shav/Tab this weekend?

Post by catullus »

Jeff and I were on La Plata, but didn't go to the top because of some scary whumpfing and shooting cracks. Greenwade and 7summitsomethingorother both summited.

I was going up a 35ish degree slope (the "scree slope" after the flat section at ~11800) and set off a whumpf and some shooting cracks. I guess it didn't avalanche because it was anchored pretty well in the scree, but it was scary enough for Jeff and I to get the hell out of dodge.
greenwade
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenwade »

No big problems on La Plata on Saturday. The scree slope was definitely the worst part, especially on the descent. There is about a 40 ft section that is a little questionable regarding a slide (there are some cracks as mentioned above), but most of the slope has exposed rock. We stuck pretty close to the rocks the rest of the way up. The variation on the winter route is the way to go, as you spend nearly the whole time after treeline on the ridge. Just stay to your right (west) for the most part.

Icy winds up high, so we didn't stay long at the summit. Take something to cover your face and neck. For the most part we lucked out on the weather. This clip of Russ give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYI5Yb1zqSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Road to the TH is fine.

Adam
Attachments
La Plata peak 015.JPG
La Plata peak 015.JPG (32.9 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
La Plata peak 033.JPG
La Plata peak 033.JPG (81.56 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

5 of us cut a trail to about 12K on Shavano standard route last weekend before there was too much cracking and whumphing last weekend. Yesterday, 2 of us returned to retrieve a lost piece of equipment. The conditions even at 12K were much better but unfortunately we waisted too much time looking for the gear to make an attempt at the summit. Now, you have a good cut trail to 12K. I would recommend maintaining the east ridge from 12K to above treeline. If you cross back under the slope toward the Angel, there is bad avy risk there as well as on the angel. The ridge looked pretty dry from down below. Also note that the road is also unpassable now from about 3.25 miles from the summer trailhead as well.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Thanks, everyone.

(And please accept my apologies for putting this in Connection; probably should have gone under Conditions.)

Still looking at Shav/Tab, La Plata, Antero, before winter is out, so feel free to post or PM if anyone wants to hook up.

(Unless conditions improve dramatically, probably won't be getting Missouri and Humbolt till next December...)

Jim