BackcountrySkier missing after avalanche near Hut

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jcwhite
14ers: 58  55  13 
13ers: 54 3 1
Trip Reports (56)

Re: BackcountrySkier missing after avalanche near Hut

Post by Jcwhite »

Jim Davies wrote:If you're concerned about SAR finding your body, you might as well just wear RECCO reflectors, not a transceiver. Lighter and cheaper, and searches can be done by helicopter.
Not always true. In fact rarely is this true. Good luck though.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Moboy56 wrote:i noticed this thread and have a quick question. i'll be out there in may to for a snow climb, i would like to carry a beacon. could someone tell me where i could rent one? i'll be in the denver area.
thanks in advance
dw
Confluence Kayaks. Downtown near REI. I'm sure there are other places too.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of the deceased, as well as members of the recovery party and anyone else that may have been affected.

Since you gentlemen are discussing it, I'd like to add something I've heard from time to time that I'm not a big fan of...The thought that in certain locations, safety equipment and sound backcountry travel practices are not necessary, since the terrain is safe and there is no avalanche danger. While this may be true, these thoughts still kinda bug me. I try to treat every time I head out there as another opportunity to brush up on my technique and continue to foster good habits for myself and my companions.

I feel like if you go out there enough thinking that it doesn't matter, eventually that could prove to be your mistake...that you didn't practice and get yourself in a good routine for when it really does matter.

Again, thoughts and prayers to the friends and family of the deceased.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

I don't necessarily subscribe to renting tranceivers - no more than I would rent my boots, skis, snowshoes, pack, or car... WIthout getting into the politics, here is a place you can rent them from.

$25/d for day 1, $5/d after that.

(Should I do this? Does this facilitate people not owning a backcountry tool? No politics, just info....)

Todd Warren
Alpenquest
719-963-1062
greg 481-2331

They also offer general moutaineering training, FWIW.

No affiliation, have not used their services, just passing this info along in the hope that it may be helpful.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Joe Ward wrote:Transceivers are expensive. If SAR groups want people to have them, maybe they should loan them out or give them away.
It's not uncommon to have over $1500 worth of gear on your feet alone in the backcountry. A beacon can be had for little more than $200.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

Joe Ward wrote:
tmathews wrote: Does anyone find that sometimes experience can lead to overconfidence? If I do get into the backcountry in the winter (which I'm hoping to do more of eventually), I don't think I would ever be without a beacon.

Just curious....
I'd say that the opposite is often the case, that experience sometimes makes people overcautious. Experienced people have seen things happen that rarely happen, and thereby give the unlikely too much consideration. This is probably a good thing.

As for being without a beacon, this may just be a personal choice having little to do with experience or the lack thereof. I never had one. Never had a cell phone or GPS, either, as they didn't exist back then. When I went solo on Denali the guy who flew me onto the Kahiltna Glacier wanted me to take a radio. I didn't want one and didn't take it. I figured that the only reason I'd need it would be if I fell into a crevasse, in which case I'd be dead and it wouldn't do me any good. I figured that it'd just be added weight to have to lug with me. Actually, the risk of being alone & out of contact added to the appeal of the mountain experience for me, in Alaska & elsewhere. I never expected to be rescued and didn't really want to be, if I got in trouble. Reliance on gadgetry & on others cheapens the experience, to my mind. Not everyone feels this way & to each his or her own. For those who choose to rely on themselves to the exclusion of gadgets & rescue, they'd better be prepared to accept the consequences if something goes wrong. The consequences may be death but I never expected to live forever, regardless of what I did or didn't do. There are worse ways & places to die than mountaineering accidents.
Interesting comments.

How does your family/exstended circle of friends/climbing-ski partners feel about your views?

Do you ever leave a note on your car telling S&R not to endanger themself's looking for you?

Maybe you should...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:I don't necessarily subscribe to renting tranceivers - no more than I would rent my boots, skis, snowshoes, pack, or car... WIthout getting into the politics, here is a place you can rent them from.

$25/d for day 1, $5/d after that.

(Should I do this? Does this facilitate people not owning a backcountry tool? No politics, just info....)

Todd Warren
Alpenquest
719-963-1062
greg 481-2331
Bent Gate rents beacons also, and for a bit cheaper than they do - it's just a bit out of the way to get to unless your plans are on I-70.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

Do you ever leave a note on your car telling S&R not to endanger themself's looking for you?

Maybe you should...

nah, that wouldnt stop us necessarily.
Jcwhite
14ers: 58  55  13 
13ers: 54 3 1
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jcwhite »

tenpins wrote:

Maybe you should...

nah, that wouldnt stop us necessarily.
Yes true.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Joe Ward wrote:I tend to avoid clusterf*cks in the out-of-doors. I go out to get away from people, not to be surrounded by them. Especially not by those who seek security in gadgetry & in numbers, or to display all the stuff they can afford.
I think it's clear why you choose to travel in the backcountry alone Joe.
llamaman
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

For some reason that picture of the offending slide (this one: http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_im ... G_0077.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) really scares me. I'm new to this stuff, self-educating for now and generally staying away from avy zones. That slope doesn't look too steep to me, but the report does say it's 35-40 degrees. But just looking at the picture, I wouldn't think that slope was much of a risk for a slide. Shows you what I know.

Anyway, my condolences to the family. This sort of thing is very sad.