We probably need a cairn...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

We probably need a cairn...

Post by Kevin8020 »

Just back from the climb of Grays Peak today. I'm not sure if this is something that anyone can handle, or if this should be routed to CFI, but there's probably some need for a cairn on the East Slopes route on Grays between photos 14 and 13 (http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=gray1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Having climbed the route in the summer, I know it's not a problem at all, however, after a problem-free ascent of the area today, during the descent, we could not find the entrance ramp onto the west side of the ridge. It took a second group and a bit more confusion before we finally found the entrance. The inch or so of new snow today may have had something to do with it too (as we had absolutely no footprints to follow).

Either way, at least for winter travel, it may be a good idea to have a cairn marking the beginning of that stretch behind the west side of the ridge for those coming down from the slopes on Grays. (Google maps with the Gray's peak KML marks that location as 39.640456°, -105.811967° - right at the corner).

Thoughts?

If nothing else, anyone headed to the area soon should be sure to make note of that location!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Re: We probably need a cairn...

Post by KeithK »

Yeah, I have a thought... Get your young behind back up there and build a cairn, so fat, lazy old guys like me don't get lost!
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

was visibility a factor? I only ask, because if that was the cause, then other less permanent options like wanding the route on the way up bad conditions, and then picking the wands up on the way down would follow LNT a little bit closer then building a cairn when it is only necessary in some conditions.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

I'm gonna agree with centrifuge on this one. Wands are cheap to buy, cheaper to make and helpful even on simple routes in the winter. Cairns shouldn't be a substitute for careful, well thought out routefinding. Just my thoughts of course.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
Kevin8020
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

g wrote:Does CMC offer cairn building classes?
Hey- if I built the cairn myself, someone would get angry about LNT and unauthorized cairning. If I asked here first, I knew I'd be accused of being lazy. Lose-lose situation. Thanks...

I'll definitely look into carying some wands here on out for stuff like this. I bring this up because it is a well used route and I know I'm not the first to have missed this turn. Visibility wasn't a factor, btw- I could see where I needed to be, just not how to get there.

The other good reminder I've heard before and agree with- always take a look back now and again to see the route you'll be going down. Still good advice there.

As for GPS, I actually had mine. I was using my ascent tracks in reverse. I guess the iPhone gps just wasn't accurate enough. It got me in the general area, but didn't help get the turn.
Last edited by Kevin8020 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Winter mountaineering always involves more navigation skills than summer. A cairn isn't the solution, especially since winter routes vary from year to year, and even day to day based on snow conditions. Strong orienteering skills are invaluable in the winter. Cairns have led me astray as many times as they've kept me on route.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

g wrote:Building a snowman seems like it'd be more LNT-friendly, plus it'd be bigger and easier to see.
Good call.
Last edited by travis19877 on Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
Kevin8020
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

cvrti5 wrote:
g wrote:Building a snowman seems like it'd be more LNT-friendly, plus it'd be bigger and easier to see.
I'll bring the carrot. Actually, now that I think of it, carrots would make great wands, and be an eco-friendly snack :lol:
Ahh... but what if the marmots at the carrot and die?!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Kevin8020 wrote:
Ahh... but what if the marmots at the carrot and die?!
At some point even the best of intentions will occasionally kill the marmot. That marmot was not qualified to survive in nature if it died from carrot consumption and would have, soon enough, been found in the belly of some fortunate hawk.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

Do not rely on cairns.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

tlerunner wrote:Do not rely on cairns.
Or Karens.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Kevin8020
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

Greenhouseguy wrote:
tlerunner wrote:Do not rely on cairns.
Or Karens.
Although we could always leave some hot women at strategic locations instead of cairns, that would be quite effective...

Just saying...