La Plata's Ellingwood Ridge in Winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nickonov
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata's Ellingwood Ridge in Winter

Post by nickonov »

I would be extremely amazed if someone completed the ascent of Ellingwood Ridge in one winter day -- nevermind the return to the trailhead. Once you gain the crest, it's about two miles of ice- and snow-covered towers, and daylight permits only about 8-10 hours of route finding in relative safety. It'd be great to read a trip report, though I'd also understand if the photographic coverage was rather spotty (again, due to time constraints). Your best shot would be to scout out the approach (which is neither frequently used, obvious, nor simple) ahead of time and then make it in the dark, giving yourself the maximum amount of visibility on the ridge itself. Of course, having someone in your party who's climbed that route before wouldn't hurt, either. Good luck!
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

best shot would be to scout out the approach (which is neither frequently used, obvious, nor simple) ahead of time and then make it in the dark, giving yourself the maximum amount of visibility on the ridge itself.
Kiefer and Mountainmicah83: We did do this. I concur with nickonov on it not being frequently used nor obvious. The day before, we tromped out the path through the trees (there's no trail) until we broke out of the trees and could see the route up to the beginning of the ridge. It was very helpful for the next day when we left for the ridge traverse.
I would be extremely amazed if someone completed the ascent of Ellingwood Ridge in one winter day -- nevermind the return to the trailhead. Once you gain the crest, it's about two miles of ice- and snow-covered towers, and daylight permits only about 8-10 hours of route finding in relative safety.
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. :wink: As I said before, we were very close to the summit by the end of the second day, but thought it wise to bivy there and do the remaining climb to the summit (and descent) in daylight. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Thanks for all of the replies. I am currently tossing a couple of options around right now. While a one day ascent would be sweet, I am not willing to die trying as most people aren't. Otherwise it would have been done already. We are looking at scouting and packing a trail on day one with the option of camping at the start of the ridge or else returning and getting super early 2-3 AM start so we don't have to carry the camping gear and doing it in a day. Problem is, I still don't feel comfortable without the bivy and bag in case we don't make it in that one day. I am liking getting as far as possible on day one and then finishing up day 2.

To be honest, I am tempted to just take the NW ridge (with winter recommendations of course) and save this route for summer as well. All will tell once I get there with as good of a knowledge of both routes as possible.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Presto,
That's super awesome, man! Haven't been on that ridge yet but doing it in winter is definitely a stylish way to tag La Plata! Hats off to ya! :P
So it seems that's two parties who have done it. Seems in winter, the safe way of doing this would be to bring bivy gear just in case.
gc
14ers: 32 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gc »

I've been curious for some time to hear about any winter ascents so this thread caught my attention. Some day I'd like to give it ago.

Here's a recent photo from Elbert that I got of the ridge:
LaPlataWinter_IMG_6061_Thumbnail.jpg
LaPlataWinter_IMG_6061_Thumbnail.jpg (273.78 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Good luck with the climb. I won't be able to make it this week-end.
Stay safe and take lots of pictures!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

Thanks. I'm just hoping that I will be done in time to make it to work on monday morning. Although, I would rather move slower and miss work than mess something up and not be able to climb ever again.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Ellingwood Ridge's first winter ascent was in 1974, January 12 to be specific, by the team of Koontz, Kocsis, Tolton and Lafferty. That was 36 years ago and given that it's only 3rd class I find it nearly impossible to believe a route like that up a 14'er in Colorado hasn't been climbed several times in the winter. Not dismissing the accomplishment by any means (I've not done it and have limited interest in doing so...) but if 5th class routes up Longs get ascents every winter then a 3rd class route should still see some traffic. Yep, it's more remote and not as popular as Longs, but still...Just my speculation.

Mountainmicah: The first winter ascent party took 4 days to knock if off, but the limited info I have from Borneman & Lampert is that they had strong wind and route finding problems. Note also that the first serious attempt in winter (1960) led to the death of a team member in a slide (the approach is apparently slide-prone per Dawson's guide). Good luck!
-Tom
CVV15er
14ers: 25  6 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CVV15er »

mountainmicah83 wrote:Thanks. I'm just hoping that I will be done in time to make it to work on monday morning. Although, I would rather move slower and miss work than mess something up and not be able to climb ever again.
Just curious... Did you ever make it? This looks like a fun (if not grueling) hike. I'm thinking about trying La Plata via the standard route and would love to hear how the conditions are out there.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

They didn't summit (viewtopic.php?t=23426&p=280169#p279916).

There's some info on the standard (winter) route in that thread as well, since my friend and I didn't summit either. :oops:

And I swear that the site is either taunting me, or Bill recently added a bunch of La Plata photos onto the front page screensaver.
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

That is correct. We didn't make it. 2 problems- first, we left home way later than planned so we had set a goal to make it to treeline by dark and if we made it then we would go for the ridge to camp to start at the top first thing in the morning. Upon splitting off from the main trail, we were trying to cut trail through thigh deep powder to get over there. After about 2 miles and only being 3/4 of the way to treeline, it was completely dark. We made the call to turn back to the beautiful trail we cut and try for the main route. We were the third party to hike the trail on the main route to treeline so you could probably boot pack it now if you don't like snowshoes but it is steep and they helped with traction also. We made it to about 13,300' the next day at a pretty slow pace. Avy conditions on the route are minimal right now. Had we not spent a few hours the day before trudging around in deep snow, we may have been faster and made the summit. However, even though we were willing to fight the 60 MPH winds on Sunday, some dark dark clouds were looming and neither one of us wanted to descend in a blizzard so we made the call to bail.

If you are planning a multi-day on this, there is an awesome campsite stomped out right at treeline. Oh, and although not necessary, crampons were helpful above treeline.

Good luck!

CVV15er
14ers: 25  6 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CVV15er »

Thanks for the info. I'm bummed to hear that you didn't summit (it would have made for an epic story) but at least you made it out safely. We'll be trying for a long day trip and praying that the weather doesn't do us in...