Who's been up Huron in Winter?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Who's been up Huron in Winter?

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Who's been up Huron in Winter?

Post by Johnson »

Jim, sent you a PM. Did you go last weekend for recon? Wondering what you found if you did. Did you get to Rockdale?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Forget the PM's if you went and have information to share, I for one would love to hear it.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Randal, no beta to share. Jim didn't go up but he heard it was clear for 3 miles up the road. Still too far for me. If you are interested in a climb, I will go when I can get to Rockdale. BTW, I sent Dancesatmoonrise a pm and then I thought I'd post.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

I'm beginning to learn what a lot of those who have gone before me already know...

Anyway, I now have information to share.

TR will be up in a couple days.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Barry, thanks for the PM, and just a little follow up... Dummy me, the reason there were no responses for "who's been up Huron in winter?" is that practically no one has been up Huron in winter. I know of only two, and one of them was on the trip last Saturday. When I'd found zero trip reports on 14ers.com OR SummitPost for Huron in calendar winter, it just threw gas on the fire.

I never did get up there for the recon; I figured I'd try to just pull off the summit bid all in one shot, and if it failed, that would be the defacto recon, and I'd be back to finish.

Everything came together and I lucked into some great partners. I'm amazed, when actually seeing it, at how much info I had about the route, having never been there, thanks to everyone that helped with the research. David went out and scoped it for me: Yup! Snowmobile tracks in under the new snow on 390. Perfect! (Thanks, David, that was a very encouraging step.) Steve is one of the few folks who has been back there in calendar winter; he gave me the beta for the Lulu Gulch / Brown's ridge to Huron. Sarah T and her team had just been in to Cloyses out of Rockdale (for Missouri,) and had first hand information on just how difficult conditions were back there. I owe a lot to a lot of great folks on this one, especially to my partners on this trip.

Anyway, it was everything it promised. Even a little weather thrown in for the camera effects. : ) I totally lucked out with some fabulous partners, both highly competent and a lot of fun to be with. All in all a very good trip.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you enjoy the TR as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Take care,

Jim
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

[quote="Dancesatmoonrise"]Barry, thanks for the PM, and just a little follow up... Dummy me, the reason there were no responses for "who's been up Huron in winter?" is that practically no one has been up Huron in winter. I know of only two, and one of them was on the trip last Saturday. When I'd found zero trip reports on 14ers.com OR SummitPost for Huron in calendar winter, it just threw gas on the fire.

Great job on your trip up Huron in the Winter. No small feat as the TH access sucks in the Winter. Don't think though that just because there aren't TR's on the net that only a handful of people have been up there. Again congrats on the Summit.

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-huron-peak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - March 2, 2006
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

EatinHardtack wrote:
Great job on your trip up Huron in the Winter. No small feat as the TH access sucks in the Winter. Don't think though that just because there aren't TR's on the net that only a handful of people have been up there. Again congrats on the Summit.

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-huron-peak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - March 2, 2006

Thanks, yeah, I had seen that TR. There are a few folks that made it in, in low snow years. Those guys started at 8:30 in the morning, because they were able to drive to Rockdale, thus cutting their length down to 14 miles RT. Huron is well guarded this winter, with a 26 mile anti-up. However, as you can imagine, the solitude back there was fabulous.