Planning For 2010

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skijrt
Trip Reports (0)

Planning For 2010

Post by skijrt »

Time to start planning the next adventure club trip. We did Democrat, Cameron (it counts!), Lincoln and Bross (nearly hit by lightning) last year. Looking to take a team of mixed ability up something a little more challenging (cat 2-3) this summer. Same distance (2 hour max) from Denver and maybe just one peak this time. Most have done Greys/Torreys/Bierstadt.

Any ideas?
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Planning For 2010

Post by Doctor No »

Longs? Pikes from the Crags?
skijrt
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skijrt »

Yes, it would be fun to do something you could see from D Town. Can you direct me to info on 14ers.com that talks about Pikes Peak from the Crags?
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... Pikes+Peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good hike - I did it on the fourth of July last year and it was fantastic. Walking through Devils' Playground is worth the price of admission (*).

(*) The price of admission is zero, but still.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

I did Pikes from the Crags a number of years ago and really loved it. I agree that Devil's Playground is awesome!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If it were me, I'd probably go for Huron from Winfield. Great scenery and a different range, but still a reasonable day even without 4WD. Crags is a good route, but it's not exactly a wilderness experience given the highway and the gift shop and the train and all that. It's also fairly long (almost 2x the effort of the Decalibron).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Elbert and Massive are 2hrs drive from Denver.
The shorter Massive trailhead is 4WD.
Theres a nice hostel in Leadville to cut driving time.
They'll even cook breakfast at 4AM if you ask nicely.
The hostel is usually unavailable in early August due to
ultramarathon trainers living there.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Several Indian Peaks are over 13K and like14ers.
You might look at Audubon, Pawnee Pass, South Arapahoe.
Their trail heads are less than 2 hours from Denver.
The Indian Peaks may have a group size limit of 12
especially if you enter through a Park like Braniard Lake.