Harvard/Columbia

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Zoomies2010
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Harvard/Columbia

Post by Zoomies2010 »

Anybody been up there lately? What are the conditions like? Photos would be nice too.

Thanks!
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Harvard/Columbia

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Check TRs.

I have one from Tuesday January 5.

Unless you're planning on this weekend, I'll have one from January 9 as well, coming soon.

Also see Sarah T & friends' excellent report from the week before.

Enjoy, it's way cool up there, and the track is in to the west slopes.

Oh, also, Quaggy did a fab report (did I say fab? Sounding like the Monty Python troupe..."Yes, absolutely fab") about two days later. Quaggy took the SE ridge. Looked pretty sweet.

You're gonna love it.

Jim
Zoomies2010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zoomies2010 »

thanks, ya--im planning on doing them tomorrow
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

How'd it go?
Zoomies2010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zoomies2010 »

...it didn't. I got really sick last night and the attmpt at 4 hrs of sleep at the trailhead only made it worse. -I ended up skiing Breck today which was probably the worst ski day on record for all time. haha
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. And such great weather this weekend.

A daytrip, though, for both, would be pretty long (but doable.) I left at 9 am (I know, pretty late) and got Columbia last Saturday, about nine hours travel time on snowshoes. Harvard would have added a few more hours. Long day, for sure.

While I was able to negotiate the route, the website was more difficult. I had to break it into two parts to make it work. : (

Here's the beta:

Part One:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... size=large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part Two:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... size=large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's kind of a goofy report, b/c I got bored with all the usual sort of reports...so tried to spice it up a bit. Anyway, I hope the images do most of the talking, and hope the beta is helpful.

Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful mountain in winter this year.

See also Quaggy's excellent recent TR for the SE ridge.

Glen and Steph were up there for a Sunrise Serenade a couple days ago as well. I'm hoping they'll do a TR. They must be hoarding some golden photos on that one!

Jim
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Glen and Steph were up there for a Sunrise Serenade a couple days ago as well. I'm hoping they'll do a TR. They must be hoarding some golden photos on that one!

Jim
Jim,

I wasn't planning on doing a trip report, and I don't think Glen mentioned writing one up. But I figured you were interested in our sunrise summit...

We left my Jeep just before midnight and slowly made our way up Horn Fork Basin. The well-packed trail was much welcomed after the previous week's post-hole fest on Holy Cross! It didn't seem very cold when we were moving, but as soon as we would stop we could tell it was quite cold out. Glen and I reached the base of Columbia around 4am (????.... my memory is a bit fuzzy on our exact times). The stars were unbelievable and Glen even saw a handful of shooting stars. As we made our way up the slope the wind started to pick up and we weren't able to take long breaks without getting really cold. We reached the summit just a few minutes before sunrise, and what a sunrise it was! It was one of the best sunrises I have ever seen, and it made the whole trip worth it. At this point both of us were starting to feel the effects of being up for about 24 hours, but with daylight our bodies started to wake up again. Glen recorded a temperature of -10F on the summit, and we figured the winds to be about 15mph.... so it was cold! After absorbing the views we started making our way back down the ridge and back down Columbia.

Here are a few pictures, most of them are Glen's because my camera's batteries didn't handle the cold temperatures very well. Enjoy!

picture by Steph, but using Glen's camera

picture by Steph

picture by Steph, but using Glen's camera

picture by Glen

picture by Glen

picture by Steph

picture by Glen
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Photos: Whoa!
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

OK, you two, those are some very nice images!! =D>

You should be extremely proud of that hard work and those gorgeous photos!

Now you get them printed in 16x20 or larger and get a nice black gallery frame. These are some real stand-outs.

Kudos!