Quandary snowpack?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Quandary snowpack?

Post by Jesse Peterson »

I wouldn't recommend Cristo coulior right now. Despite the recent warm temps down low, we are not in a spring snowpack situation, even on south aspects. There is a very persistent layer of weak basal facets below a strenghtening slab above, making avalanches harder to trigger but very destructive when they do go. Above 13k the snow has not warmed up much is quite variable. Also- I look at the Cristo on my way to work every day and it's very thinly covererd, i.e. skiing conditions not ideal, rocky wind-hammered snow with fatal avy potential.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pivvay »

East ridge as of today 1/15/2010:

No snowshoes needed, not even close. Skiing would be crappy at best IMO.
Me and a partner did it without yaktrax, microspikes or pons but those less confident in their feet might want them. It's hard packed everywhere and icy in spots. We did get a few short glissades in on the way down but it's bumpy going and only borderline worth it.

Nice trip today under sunny skies and light winds for winter. ~4:25 RT from the winter parking with 2 guys, 2 dogs and some lounging on the summit and eating time.
AvramGonzales
Trip Reports (2)

Post by AvramGonzales »

I went up the East Ridge today 1-17-10

Would have to agree with the conditions posted above and quoted below. I shot some video today which might give some of you an idea what conditions looked like. The YouTube video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mbK6y1930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or you can see it on my blog at http://AvramGonzales.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I hope the visual helps! Conditions were great otherwise.
Pivvay wrote:East ridge as of today 1/15/2010:

No snowshoes needed, not even close. Skiing would be crappy at best IMO.
Me and a partner did it without yaktrax, microspikes or pons but those less confident in their feet might want them. It's hard packed everywhere and icy in spots. We did get a few short glissades in on the way down but it's bumpy going and only borderline worth it.

Nice trip today under sunny skies and light winds for winter. ~4:25 RT from the winter parking with 2 guys, 2 dogs and some lounging on the summit and eating time.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

I skied Quandary pretty much top to bottom on Saturday. The snow near the top definitely sucks - I'm sure anyone on here that was hiking on Saturday saw me take a spill or two.

Once you get below the first section of snow which is on the skiers left - we hiked out of the bowl and then down about 500 feet before putting our skis on. You can ski down the main trail and then off to the skiers right for the rest of the way. The snow is decent but not great - watch out for rocks along the trail as the snow is extremely thin.

*Sorry for the skiers left and right - I'm completely useless at East/West unless I really pay attention.