Elbert Winter Ascent

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ric Tinney
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert Winter Ascent

Post by Ric Tinney »

So, I've done 30 14er summer accents and am planning to be in Vail for a week in early January. Elbert is still on my to-do list and is a Class 1 in the summer. What would it be like in the Winter? I've never snowshoed but do have a pair. I also have crampons (but never used them) and was thinking of buying some Yaktrax. Are there any avalanche concerns on Elbert? If not Elbert, the what in the area would be the shortest, non-technical? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Re: Elbert Winter Ascent

Post by benners »

Elbert's East Ridge is a fairly straightforward winter route with low avy danger as long as you actually stay on route. The distance required doesn't increase much in winter either (only an additional 3 or 4 miles round trip). Crampons are not at all necessary although I would recommend snowshoes over Yaktrax for flotation purposes. Search for winter trip reports on Elbert and you should find some good information.
Ric Tinney
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ric Tinney »

Thank you. That's very helpful.
bigmac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigmac »

Just as an fyi, the trail head closure adds on an additional 6-7 miles. Not 3 as previously mentioned. Also If you do plan on do it. The snow up there wasn't very stable (so a little scary), and plan on breaking trail, up to tree line. Good luck!
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

bigmac wrote:Just as an fyi, the trail head closure adds on an additional 6-7 miles. Not 3 as previously mentioned.
Does it? I was under the impression the 2WD TH is typically the winter road closure. If this is the case then the route would be 3.6 to 4 miles longer round trip (based on Bill's numbers and those found on Summitpost). I remember when I hiked Elbert in March I logged around 4 extra miles, I couldn't imagine calling it 6-7.

Sources:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=sw03
http://www.summitpost.org/route/322285/ ... trail.html
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

benners wrote:
bigmac wrote:Just as an fyi, the trail head closure adds on an additional 6-7 miles. Not 3 as previously mentioned.
Does it? I was under the impression the 2WD TH is typically the winter road closure. If this is the case then the route would be 3.6 to 4 miles longer round trip (based on Bill's numbers and those found on Summitpost). I remember when I hiked Elbert in March I logged around 4 extra miles, I couldn't imagine calling it 6-7.

Sources:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=sw03
http://www.summitpost.org/route/322285/ ... trail.html
I think benners is right. I thought I remembered that my friend and I started from the 2wd TH on April 5. I looked at my GPS data and we did indeed start at 9,600'. Just the same, this is a lot of distance and gain to cover in the winter, so I'd get a very early start (frankly, I think Quandary or Sherman would be better first winter ascent choices). And as others have said, you will have to break trail below treeline so I'd bring snowshoes that actually give you some float. We eventually got off trail a bit and also had to deal with a very thick aspen grove for quite a while--so try to avoid that if possible!
Attachments
Elbert east ridge lower TH.jpg
Elbert east ridge lower TH.jpg (137.05 KiB) Viewed 1804 times