Choose one

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
New hiker
Trip Reports (1)

Choose one

Post by New hiker »

If you could only pick one to summit (in early summer) rather than doing the entire loop, which would it be: Cameron, Lincoln, Democrat or Bross?
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Choose one

Post by globreal »

New hiker wrote:If you could only pick one to summit (in early summer) rather than doing the entire loop, which would it be: Cameron, Lincoln, Democrat or Bross?
Democrat
glad2Bme
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glad2Bme »

Lincoln
Alpinists are just optimists with lousy short term memory
New hiker
Trip Reports (1)

Post by New hiker »

Thanks for the responses. Any specific details as to why would be helpful. Thanks again.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Democrat.

Thats just because I am interested in the North Ridge route. Looks good. And exciting. As opposed to the standard loop.

Lincoln would be second.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

Lincoln, because it's higher and I like the view and final approach better.

Democrat is also worthwhile. Cameron is a bump on the way to Lincoln. Bross will make you ask yourself why you bothered.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

Democrat. Same reason as Derek cited, I'd eventually like to get around to the north ridge route and even the standard route I recall as being a little more interesting then Lincoln.
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

Lincoln. I thought the mountain was more interesting.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
Chris P.
14ers: 55 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Chris P. »

If you're only considering the standard routes from Kite Lake, I would choose Lincoln. Democrat is a nice hike, but it's too short if you're just doing it from the lake. Going for Lincoln makes the route a bit longer and more interesting. Plus I think that the summit of Lincoln is nicer.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Democrat, at least if the non-Kite Lake routes were open.

Democrat has the north rige, the north couloir and the west face, all of which are interesting routes.

Even if it weren't for that fact, I would still choose Democrat. Bross has a road to the summit and Lincoln has one very close to the summit. Democrat looks more scenic.

Anyway, despite the above answer, I feel it is a bit hypocritical. I've actually climbed Bross twice and Lincoln once, but I haven't climbed Democrat. So, why didn't I choose Democrat? I let went along with what the others in my group were doing. :D
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Democrat. North face is fun. North ridge looked entertaining.
newnative
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by newnative »

Lincoln, not standard route though. Starting at the Montgomery reservoir, and choosing my own route up that side... seems to be a lot of options. A friend and I were talking about this Sunday while we were checking out the ice under the amphitheater, you could do everything from going up through the amphitheater to following that ridge up the north side of the peak. Looks fun.
Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the last remaining wilderness be destroyed.

- Wallace Stegner