Grays & Torrey's **Updated**

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Grays & Torrey's **Updated**

Post by zoriloco »

Anyone know how its looking, I was wondering if the Rd to the TH is open.

Thanks

Road to the TH is covered in snow and Ice, wouldnt recommend anything with out chains to try it out. I was only able to drive 1/4 of a mile up the road when I found my self spinning tires. Snow in the actual trail was packed pretty nice. Snowshoes were very helpful. Didnt summit only got about 3/4 of a mile below the top. Saw some snowboard tracks on the smaller ridges on my way back to the Jeep.

Ill post up a trip report as soon as i download my pics.
Last edited by zoriloco on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Grays & Torrey's

Post by sunny1 »

On Stevens Gulch Rd today for only the 1st mile, snowshoed Grizzly Gulch.
We could not drive up the road this a.m. due to slipping, parked at the bottom of the road by I-70 and snowshoed up. Have a full size 4 WD truck. If you have really good tread on your tires or chains, you could probably drive up to the G & T TH. On our way back down, we did see tire tracks going up, somebody made it!
It was a gorgeous, cloudless day up there. Mild winds. There was alot of melting today, so if you do go, all of that will be icy early tomorrow a.m. Traction for your feet would be a good idea - yaktrax or similar.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

I have a lifted Jeep with All Terrain Tires so I might give it a try. Do you think snowshoes would be helpful?

Thanks
sunny1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

We took our snowshoes off when we got back to Stevens Gulch Rd early this afternoon and booted it.
I can't speak to conditions further up the road - there were a few skiers who went further up.
Maybe someone else could better answer that question for a G & T ascent.
I'd bring the snowshoes if you don't get more beta, you can always leave 'em in the jeep if it looks good and you don't mind some postholing. Def bring gaiters.
Hope your conditions are as awesome tomorrow as ours were today! :D
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks bro, really appreciate the info.
sunny1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

If you haven't already done so, check out emcee smith's TR for Sniktau and Grizzly - helpful info on conditions in the area

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
grandyos
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Grays & Torrey's **Updated**

Post by grandyos »

Anyone been up there lately? What are the conditions like?
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I can't speak to the road conditions but I was on Sniktau 11/14. Along the ridge the snow was drifted up on one side leaving about 6 inches in most places. Occaisonally I'd catch a small drift of 12+ inches but it was no problem with just boots.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Jodi
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Jodi »

Went up there today with my dog. Definitely only passable with 4WD with snow tires or chains. I tried for about 100 feet with my 2WD SUV. No go. Snow packed with ice in a few places. It's a really nice hike up the road though. Just went up to 12,100 today but the conditions were gorgeous. The trail is nice and packed down. Easy to follow.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jodi wrote:Went up there today with my dog. Definitely only passable with 4WD with snow tires or chains. I tried for about 100 feet with my 2WD SUV. No go. Snow packed with ice in a few places. It's a really nice hike up the road though. Just went up to 12,100 today but the conditions were gorgeous. The trail is nice and packed down. Easy to follow.
Were there any bare spots on the road? Wondering if it's ready to ride with a snowmobile.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs