Black Hawk helicopter crashed into Mount Massive

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fletchersteel
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Black Hawk helicopter crashed into Mount Massive

Post by fletchersteel »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13161807

Doesn't sound good. My thoughts go out to the crew and their rescuers.
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway
wesley_j
14ers: 38 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wesley_j »

Wow, had some friends up there today. I am sure we will be hearing more about this as well as some personal accounts of the crash.

Hope everyone is ok
Trying to do as we should
That doesn't always rhyme with doing what feels good
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

report of two soldiers dead, one medevac'ed and one missing.
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

I'm glad I looked around a bit more before posting this info again in the General forum. My prayers are with the families and with my siblings-in-arms :(
http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=10958914
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

[-o<
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

Was anyone hiking on Massive or Elbert today and saw it?
Bravura Vista
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bravura Vista »

I saw a Black Hawk take off from Peterson AFB today around 12:30pm headed west. Wonder if that was the chopper.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of the deceased and injured.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13162221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of Fort Campbell KY. It says they hit at 14,200 which is pretty high for the trail building crews but a Blackhawk is pretty hard to miss and pulling power would be making quite a bit of noise.

Best to the Families as they probably have Afghanistan experience.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

My first thoughts are with the crew and rescuers. My sincere condolences to the families.

With that said - does anyone know where this is on the mountain? I've only been up there once but I remember the terrain fairly well. Must be that large meadow East of the summit ridge.
The crash occurred at 14,200 feet level of the 14,400 foot mountain, which is about 15 miles southwest of Leadville.

Two Flight for Life helicopters landed at the crash scene, and one of the helicopters is taking the survivor to St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver.

Benson said the helicopter went down in a meadow on the east side of the mountain.

Rescue crews were able to drive up the mountain but had to walk some distance into the meadow, she said. She said that both Flight for Life helicopters had to land some distance from the crash and their crews walked to the helicopter.
The wreckage will likely be a permanent fixture now.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

also saw a blackhawk heading west around 1800 tonight....wondering if it was enroute to the crash.
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiemus »

jimlup wrote:The wreckage will likely be a permanent fixture now.
What makes you say that ? The bird on Quandary was picked up in less than a week.