Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I assume Silver Pick will still be open in the spring, for spring skiing.
It always has been in the past.
A seasonal closure to keep out the rifraf in the summer is understandable.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby cbauer10 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:28 am

I got my Prius to both Woods Lake and Kilpacker this season. Very doable. If you are looking to do all three, then Woods Lake is the way to go. I just did a route description for the site on my trip earlier this year.

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=wood0&peak=Mt.+Wilson%2C+Wilson+Peak%2C+and+El+Diente+Peak

Silver Pick was still scheduled to open up this fall the last I heard from some folks in Telluride, but it is looking slim now. If you are going next year it should be open though. If that is the case, then I would get Wilson Peak from Silver Pick and then drive around to Kilpacker for ED-MW. They are both doable day trips and then you don't have to pack in and the routes on ED-MW are much safer from that side. If you want to pack in though, then Woods Lake is the way to go.

Postby Johnson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am

We did Wilson Peak (Unclegar did Wilson Peak and Mount Wilson on same day) from Sunshine Mesa TH and a van could have made it up last month... sure nothings changed.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby SteveBonowski » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 am

Our CMC/TMC joint work weekend that was scheduled for earlier this month was postponed until late June, 2011. There was a delay in getting the easement paperwork signed. Approval is needed from several levels of the USFS and San Miguel County, in addition to all the property owners. One of the owners passed away last year and delay was caused by estate proceedings. We're all hopeful that the paperwork will be finalized this fall so the final work can be done early next summer and the new route then opened. Steve

Postby cbauer10 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 pm

SteveBonowski wrote:Our CMC/TMC joint work weekend that was scheduled for earlier this month was postponed until late June, 2011. There was a delay in getting the easement paperwork signed. Approval is needed from several levels of the USFS and San Miguel County, in addition to all the property owners. One of the owners passed away last year and delay was caused by estate proceedings. We're all hopeful that the paperwork will be finalized this fall so the final work can be done early next summer and the new route then opened. Steve

Steve,

Thank you so much for the update. I was curious what was the delay since the plan was this fall. Even and Telluride guide that we ran into on ED did not know why it was not open yet.

Thank you!!!

Postby mtnmaneric » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 am

Does anybody have a recent update for the status of the trailhead? Is Silver Pick still closed to all access, or has the easement and new location of access gone through for spring skiing access?

I would like to get down there in the beggining of May for a trip and am researching the best ways to get to the peaks. Any suggestions?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 am

Still closed. They expect to open this summer and will be notifying the public when it opens. I will be posting updates as they come along

Postby SteveBonowski » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

As of this past January, our proposed final work weekend for the last weekend of June was on hold. I sent an e-mail to the USFS late last week, but have not heard back.

Postby Aggieclimber86 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 am

Any news on this TH? I am trying to plan a trip from out of state later in the summer and would like to give the Silver Peak TH a go if it is open. Thanks for any information....

Postby Aggieclimber86 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 am

Sorry...didn't see the updated information until I posted my question...no need for a reply...I will look for Bill's updates when he posts next.

Postby letsgocu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Still a no go??
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm

I was down there to scout out the new "Rock of Ages" TH on 7/24 and there was a locked gate 7 miles up the road. According to Roach the new publically available TH (Sliver Pick's replacement) is 11 miles up the road...so I could only drive to within 4 miles of the new TH. There was no indication as to when it will open.
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

PreviousNext