Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkiNowWorkLater
14ers: 26  13  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Post by SkiNowWorkLater »

Is it allowable to park on Silver Pick Road a mile before the trailhead and head due east and then south around the NW ridge of Wilson Peak to climb and ski the northeast face of Wilson Peak? I'm not sure where the private property lines are that need to be avoided...

For reference, the route that I'm describing is route 4.1.1 in Dawson's 14er Guide vol. 2.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

bmcconahey wrote: How long is the hike from the Woods Lake trailhead to camp at Navajo Lake?
If I remember right, it's about the same distance as the Kilpacker approach. Only catch is you have about 500 feet of elevation gain to get back out. The trail is above treeline for a little so take the time day you plan to exit into account. I highly recommend it (less folks and the view of ED is excellent) and the Woods Lake TH is accessable via 2WD in summer.

This is why I am puzzled by the red route in the map above. It's the Woods Lake approach, just a lot longer ????
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
lowlander
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lowlander »

I wish our forefather's had remembered to write this into OUR constitution...

Everyman's Right!

http://www.environment.fi/default.asp?c ... 391&lan=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I just spoke with Cindy at the Norwood Ranger District Office. She said that they are still actively working to finish the relocation of the TH, but the date for reopening it is still TBD. She said hopefully sometime this year.
Bobo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bobo »

del_sur wrote:Until Silver Pick opens... Don't forget Woods Lake as a path to base camp at Navajo Lake. This trail joins the Navajo trail about 1/2 mile before the basin.
Having hiked both it and Navajo, I enthusiastically recommend WL over the Navajo approach.
This comes up every year (and I pimp it each year), so if you don't get more feedback here, a quick search should yield lots of discussion. If I remember correctly, most folks side with WL.
I prefer it because it's more scenic, with a sick view of El Diente on the way in. There are also a few ranked 13ers (e.g. 13123) that you could include on a trip using WL.
People coming from points north (e.g. Denver) usually appreciate that it saves a lot of driving vs. crossing LH pass over to the Dunton road (Navajo/Kilpacker).
+1 for Del Sur's suggestion. I have hiked Silver Pick before the closure to Wilson Peak, but haven't hiked Navajo approach. I chose Woods Lake to save drive time (left Montrose at 10pm). The view of El Diente as you round the shoulder of Pt. 13,123 are amazing. It is a fair amount of elevation to gain, plus the 500 or so feet that you have to give up descending to the lake and regain on the return.

El Diente coming into view as I round the shoulder of Pt. 13,123.
"At this point the runner might philosophize a and consider just where he or she is in the Imogene Pass Run. You've climbed 1945 ft of elevation in 5.45 mi, at an average of 356 ft./mi., 6.8% gradient. To reach Imogene Pass you must climb 3365 ft in the next 4.60 mi, at an average of 731 ft./mi., or 13.85% gradient. Your effort so far has simply been a warmup. The steep gradients of the named hills below are now less than the average gradient ahead." - IPR course description
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

For TMathews & others, we have a joint CMC/Telluride Mountain Club trail crew weekend on Sept. 10-12 to finish some things up with the USFS. They're still hoping for a reopening of the new route through Silver Pick at that time. Things hinge on getting an easement across a mining claim retained by the owner. One of the claim owner's partners died a year ago and things have been tied up in estate proceedings.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

SteveBonowski wrote:For TMathews & others, we have a joint CMC/Telluride Mountain Club trail crew weekend on Sept. 10-12 to finish some things up with the USFS. They're still hoping for a reopening of the new route through Silver Pick at that time. Things hinge on getting an easement across a mining claim retained by the owner. One of the claim owner's partners died a year ago and things have been tied up in estate proceedings.
Thanks for the update, Steve!
BrianH
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrianH »

Does anybody have any recommendations for the best drive in for a LOW clearance vehicle? (My big sister's mini-van! great for sleeping, not so great for rough roads...) I took it up the road to the Grizzly Gulch - Silver Creek trailhead, and that's about as rough a road as I'd like to take it on.
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

I assume you're wanting to climb the Wilsons? I don't think you'll have any problems getting to Kilpacker- and you can hook up to Navajo if you just want the Peak, or get on top of El Diente from the south side from there.
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
daslug
Trip Reports (1)

Post by daslug »

Two wheel drive vehicle will have no problem with the Woods Lake TH, the road is paved most of the way. Highly recommend this approach.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever....
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

i was able to do a continous day-hike (12 hours) from WL TH to Wilson Peak and back....the drive up to WL TH is very doable in a 2WD vehicle...
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I assume Silver Pick will still be open in the spring, for spring skiing.
It always has been in the past.
A seasonal closure to keep out the rifraf in the summer is understandable.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes