Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wilson Peak - Silver Pick UPDATE

Post by cbauer10 »

I got my Prius to both Woods Lake and Kilpacker this season. Very doable. If you are looking to do all three, then Woods Lake is the way to go. I just did a route description for the site on my trip earlier this year.

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... iente+Peak

Silver Pick was still scheduled to open up this fall the last I heard from some folks in Telluride, but it is looking slim now. If you are going next year it should be open though. If that is the case, then I would get Wilson Peak from Silver Pick and then drive around to Kilpacker for ED-MW. They are both doable day trips and then you don't have to pack in and the routes on ED-MW are much safer from that side. If you want to pack in though, then Woods Lake is the way to go.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

We did Wilson Peak (Unclegar did Wilson Peak and Mount Wilson on same day) from Sunshine Mesa TH and a van could have made it up last month... sure nothings changed.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Our CMC/TMC joint work weekend that was scheduled for earlier this month was postponed until late June, 2011. There was a delay in getting the easement paperwork signed. Approval is needed from several levels of the USFS and San Miguel County, in addition to all the property owners. One of the owners passed away last year and delay was caused by estate proceedings. We're all hopeful that the paperwork will be finalized this fall so the final work can be done early next summer and the new route then opened. Steve
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

SteveBonowski wrote:Our CMC/TMC joint work weekend that was scheduled for earlier this month was postponed until late June, 2011. There was a delay in getting the easement paperwork signed. Approval is needed from several levels of the USFS and San Miguel County, in addition to all the property owners. One of the owners passed away last year and delay was caused by estate proceedings. We're all hopeful that the paperwork will be finalized this fall so the final work can be done early next summer and the new route then opened. Steve
Steve,

Thank you so much for the update. I was curious what was the delay since the plan was this fall. Even and Telluride guide that we ran into on ED did not know why it was not open yet.

Thank you!!!
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Does anybody have a recent update for the status of the trailhead? Is Silver Pick still closed to all access, or has the easement and new location of access gone through for spring skiing access?

I would like to get down there in the beggining of May for a trip and am researching the best ways to get to the peaks. Any suggestions?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Still closed. They expect to open this summer and will be notifying the public when it opens. I will be posting updates as they come along
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

As of this past January, our proposed final work weekend for the last weekend of June was on hold. I sent an e-mail to the USFS late last week, but have not heard back.
Aggieclimber86
14ers: 56 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aggieclimber86 »

Any news on this TH? I am trying to plan a trip from out of state later in the summer and would like to give the Silver Peak TH a go if it is open. Thanks for any information....
Aggieclimber86
14ers: 56 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aggieclimber86 »

Sorry...didn't see the updated information until I posted my question...no need for a reply...I will look for Bill's updates when he posts next.
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu »

Still a no go??
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

I was down there to scout out the new "Rock of Ages" TH on 7/24 and there was a locked gate 7 miles up the road. According to Roach the new publically available TH (Sliver Pick's replacement) is 11 miles up the road...so I could only drive to within 4 miles of the new TH. There was no indication as to when it will open.
Shawn
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

News Release

USDA Forest Service
Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and
Gunnison National Forests
Norwood Ranger District
1150 Forest Street
Norwood, CO 81423

The Trust for Public Land
1410 Grant Street, Ste D210
Denver, CO 80203

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact(s): Judy Schutza, District Ranger, U.S. Forest Service, 970-326-4261
Jason Corzine, Project Manager, The Trust for Public Land, 303-501-5570

PUBLIC ACCESS RESTORED TO WILSON PEAK

Norwood, CO., (August 3, 2011) – The Forest Service announces the opening of the new Rock of Ages Trail, located about 15 miles southwest of Telluride, Colorado. Opening this 3.7-mile hiking trail concludes a seven-year effort by the Forest Service and other organizations to restore public access to Wilson Peak, a popular “fourteener” in the Lizard Head Wilderness. A trail map and directions to the new Rock of Ages trailhead are posted on the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forest website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/gmug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under “Highlights”.

“We are thrilled to open this new trail that will allow climbers to hike through Silver Pick Basin on their way to Wilson Peak” said Judy Schutza, Norwood District Ranger. “Public access would not have been restored without the efforts of The Trust for Public Land who purchased key private parcels on Wilson Peak and in Silver Pick Basin.”

In July of 2004, a traditional route to Wilson Peak through private lands in Silver Pick Basin was closed. During the ensuing years, the Forest Service joined forces with The Trust for Public Land (TPL) to restore public access. San Miguel County, the Telluride Mountain Club and the Colorado Mountain Club were also key players in this effort.

In October of 2007, TPL took a significant step toward restoring public access by purchasing 230 acres of private land in Silver Pick Basin, including key parcels on the southwest ridge of Wilson Peak. The Forest Service made further progress in August of 2009 by completing the environmental analysis for the Rock of Ages Trail, however a trail easement across a private parcel in the upper basin was still needed to fully restore access. In May of 2011, the Forest Service obtained the needed trail easement. Construction of a new trailhead parking facility and access road were completed this week.

"We're very excited to have reached this most important stage in the process," said Jason Corzine, Senior Project Manager with TPL. "Restoring and preserving public access to this iconic peak has been TPL's main goal from the beginning." TPL continues to own the property they purchased in 2007 and is working to convey that land to the Forest Service.

Wilson Peak is among three 14,000-plus foot peaks in the Lizard Head Wilderness that annually draw thousands of climbing enthusiasts. The new Rock of Ages Trail provides a shorter route to these peaks than is currently offered by existing trails.

###

"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs