Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Beta/Pics on Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn Trail/Peaks conditions?

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Beta/Pics on Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn Trail/Peaks conditions?

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm

All the trip reports for these mountains are over a month old, (maybe a bad sign!?), but there must have been considerable snow-melt since then, right? I've read the short postings here there with a little beta, but was wondering how things are looking for this weekend (19-21 JUNE 2009) from anyone who has been there this week. I (we) are going regardless, but were curious how much snow to expect above treeline from anyone who has been there very recently. If too much snow turns it into a bust, we are prepared to convert this into just a regular old alpine camping trip only.
It's my understanding that the roads to matterhorn/nellie TH are both clear to the 4x4 TH, so that's where I'm aiming for, but in a REAL truck this time, not my Yaris. :wink:

ps....for those who are aso wondering the same, after I get back, I'll put together a trip report with pics showing whatever I encounter.

I've not spent much time in this neck of the woods. I know that there are not alot of hikers in the area yet, does anyone feel that a side arm is warrented until the crowds pick up to scare away the "bumps in the night"?

Plan A: Matterhorm creek TH, camp around the junction or highest dry ground.

Plan B: Nellie creek TH, somewhere up there within spitting distance of Unc.

If you have any pics to share, that would be cool, but any info is valued. (post holeing?)

I'm looking forward to #36 and #37, but will be happy to just look at them in aaahhh if it comes to that.

---yes, have ice axe, helmet, but no crampons (heard cramps may not be needed on Unc.) --Looking to buy crampons ASAP.. mostly for next year and maybe some putzing about to learn 'em this year possibly.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Hansen

----If anyone is looking to climb one/both this weekend, maybe see you there.----

Is that enough rambling tangental thought for one post? :)

Okay, back to packing.

SYOTM
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Re: Beta/Pics on Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn Trail/Peaks conditions?

Postby kleinmaf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:56 pm

We did Uncompahgre today, it was very dry, you certainly do not need crampons or an ice axe. The wetterhorn east face still had some snow on it. I will try to post a few pics.

Postby kleinmaf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 pm

P1000109.jpg
Uncompahgre
P1000109.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Attachments
P1000186.jpg
Wetterhorn
P1000186.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 pm

kleinmaf wrote:We did Uncompahgre today, it was very dry, you certainly do not need crampons or an ice axe. The wetterhorn east face still had some snow on it. I will try to post a few pics.

1st: Congrats on your summit.

2nd: Wow! Thanks a ton! =D> =D> =D> Big thanks! Now I'm really excited to be driving out tomorrow. It looks like we'll be able to camp really high without a problem. We're gearing up for a Nepal trek; sleeping high as much as possible in preperation for the big 17,600ft day, so this is gonna be super start of our hiking year. :mrgreen:

I'll be checking back here again before we drive out around 10:00am for any other posts.

Ed
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby giarcd » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:15 am

Uncompahgre is on my list for this year----just have to get this Plantr Faciaitis under control-----would like confirmations of drive to TH (Nellie) cause I might just limp up and back if all else fails---thanks

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:04 am

MuniRider:
I plan to make an attempt on Wetterhorn around July 2nd. Would you mind taking a couple pics of the standard route and send them to me when you return ? It's not one I care to do with snow on the upper route and would appreciate the beta. Thanks and have a great trip this weekend !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:19 am

mtgirl wrote:I plan to make an attempt on Wetterhorn around July 2nd.

Hey Vicki!
Both times I've done Wetterhorn it was July 2nd- by coincidence!
By then the upper route will be dry and about everything above the saddle will be clear- the crux will be completely clear as it gets alot of afternoon sun. There may be a little snow around the place you hop over the top to get to crux approach- but nothing steep. Both times just had to cross a few small snow fields on the way up to the saddle/ridge. They could prob be avoided if you really wanted, and were not bad. So if this year is similar in snow pack you'll be fine :) The top will make you think a little bit before starting- but it's alot of fun once you get going! Enjoy- it's a beautiful place :!:
The reason mountain climbers are tied together is to keep the sane ones from going home! ;)

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:34 am

Thanks a bunch, JoeyJ. I've been looking forward to Wetterhorn for quite a while now ! =P~
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby MUni Rider » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 am

I'll be taking plenty of pics.... and a trip report as well.

Postby kleinmaf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:28 am

giarcd wrote:Uncompahgre is on my list for this year----just have to get this Plantr Faciaitis under control-----would like confirmations of drive to TH (Nellie) cause I might just limp up and back if all else fails---thanks

The drive to Nellie trailhead is easily doable with a high clearance 4WD vehicle. I don't think it would be possible with 2wd or low clearance.