Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Evans to Bierstadt distance?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Evans to Bierstadt distance?

Postby hacklera68 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:45 pm

If I am already standing on top of Evans, what is the round trip distance from Evans to Bierstadt? How long should it take me if i can run up Mt. Evans on the road (14.5 miles) in 2:45? There and back in 90 minutes?

Re: Evans to Bierstadt distance?

Postby Nathan Hale » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:08 pm

The time up the road is good, but doesn't give a lot to go on for determining how long Bierstadt will take you because they're just different sorts of routes.

90 minutes for there and back is pushing it, even for a very fit person. While the Sawtooth isn't particularly difficult technically, you will have to deal with a bit of route finding and a lot of tedious boulder hopping that will slow you down.

Not sure on the distance.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby tmathews » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:10 pm

hacklera68 wrote:If I am already standing on top of Evans, what is the round trip distance from Evans to Bierstadt? How long should it take me if i can run up Mt. Evans on the road (14.5 miles) in 2:45? There and back in 90 minutes?

It's approximately 1.75 miles one-way from Evans to Bierstadt over The Sawtooth, which contains some Class 3 scrambling. Not sure how much time that would take for you.

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:25 pm

I remember that it dragged on for a while. The portion between the Sawtooth and Evans is relatively flat but it is also at the 14,000ft mark as well as rather rough and rocky. As others said the Sawtooth isn't that tough but it does take some time. I think I was right about 1 hour crossing it from Bierstadt to the Evans side and that was only 1 way.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:03 pm

You spend quite a bit of time around 14,000 feet along the ridge of Evans and then crossing the Sawtooth and back. That in itself is tiring. I expected the route finding over the ridge to be a bit more straight forward than it was. All in all somewhat slower pace than running up the road. When I was there it was so foggy that we had to use a compass just to determine which side of Bierstadt to descend. All those factors make it a complicated question to answer. #-o But, that's why my middle name is Duffus.

DKC
Last edited by Duffus Kentucky Climber on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

I recall taking about 2 hours one-way, but I'm no distance runner... The descent off Bierstadt to the low point was pretty time-consuming in itself, loose and steep.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Hungry Jack » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Crossing the Sawtooth (one way) would require at least 30 minutes. The cliffs and ledges aren't very technical, but you do need to watch your steps and crouch in spots. The ascent from the Sawtooth saddle to Bierstadt is entirely off trail and requires a fair amount of bouldering. I cannot imagine doing the round trip in much less than 2 hours.
I need more dehydrogenase.