Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st attempt at a TR (Mt. Columbia)

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

1st attempt at a TR (Mt. Columbia)

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:37 pm

I just got around to creating my first trip report. Please, be gentle. :oops:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6134&cpgm=tripmain

Re: 1st attempt at a TR (Mt. Columbia)

Postby KentonB » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Awesome... No one will beat you up too bad. Just one note... be sure to make sure you don't mean "right" when you put "left" in your trip report. I laughed because I do the same thing EVERY time. I always have to go back and edit mine after the fact. (specifically, I'm looking the the captions under the 3rd and 4th pictures where it tells you to go "left" but the pictures indicate a right turn. :-)

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:00 pm

53_Peaks wrote:Awesome... No one will beat you up too bad. Just one note... be sure to make sure you don't mean "right" when you put "left" in your trip report. I laughed because I do the same thing EVERY time. I always have to go back and edit mine after the fact. (specifically, I'm looking the the captions under the 3rd and 4th pictures where it tells you to go "left" but the pictures indicate a right turn. :-)

Oops! Fixed. :)

Postby Dex » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Nice report - thanks - I'm thinking of doing Columbia this week.

It doesn't look as if crampons are needed - correct?

How long did it take you to drive the 3+ miles to North Cottonwood trail head? That is a rough road especially in the dark.
Last edited by Dex on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Dex wrote:Nice report - thanks - I'm thinking of doing Columbia this week.

It doesn't look as if crampons are needed - correct?

Nah, not at all.

Postby Dex » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Dex wrote:How long did it take you to drive the 3+ miles to North Cottonwood trail head? That is a rough road especially in the dark.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Dex wrote:
Dex wrote:How long did it take you to drive the 3+ miles to North Cottonwood trail head? That is a rough road especially in the dark.

It wasn't that bad, really. I was able to turn off my headlamp after about 45 minutes. I started out at 4:37 and summited around 9:24, if that gives you any indication, but I'm a slow hiker.