Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Parking in Durango

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Parking in Durango

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Hearing conflicting stories about overnight parking at the train station in Durango to get into the Chicago Basin, some tell me they still allow it some do not (read another thread on here that it may not be allowed). Anyone know for sure?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: Parking in Durango

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Last time I was there they allowed it (2 years ago), but it'll cost you. Something like 7 or 8 bones a day.

Postby snowmanco » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey,

I'm the mo-ran that posted it wasn't allowed. I was incorrect. My bad!

Here's what it says:

Long term parking in Durango is available in our large lot adjacent to the train yards. Parking is $7.00 per day for passenger cars and $9.00 per day for RV's. You will need to pay for each day your vehicle will be in the lot. By city ordinance, overnight camping is not allowed in our parking lot.

Source:
http://www.durangotrain.com/about-us/wilderness-access

Postby aerohr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Or, you could just drive up the street a few blocks in park in the neighborhood...

I didn't see anything to suggest this was not legal. I just parked in front of some locals house on the side of the road, like you would in Wash Park, Cap Hill, or any other place. Its an old trick I learned when working summers at Lake George - rip off the tourists who want to park close to the attraction, but drive 3 blocks away and there is abundant free parking.

Please note, this is the disclaimer: this is what I did, and it worked very well, no ticket, no hassles, no nothing. There are no signs up there to indicate you require a permit or anything. Check out the area, look for indications you can't legally park there, but if you don't find any (like me), just park in front of someone's house and have a good trip on the train.

Postby turbocat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:07 am

I will 2nd aerohr and would like to be covered under his disclaimer...so don't blame me. I have always parked up on 3rd ave just west of College Ave up in the "neighborhood". I try to be courteous and not park smack dab in front of someone's house and usually look for a less conspicuous out of the way spot. Have not received a ticket or a tow though I am aware that most municipalities have 48-72 hr. rules for abandoned (non-moved) vehicles. I worked down in DRO last year for a few month gig and parked my rental vehicle all the time North of 2nd ave where there are no meters or restrictions, most people that work in downtown do this so the neighbors are used to tourist and business parking out there...and most have off street parking for themselves so just don't block their driveway.
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!

Postby higherhigher » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:21 am

You could also consider taking the train from Silverton and parking there. I parked there in 10/07 for several days and didn't have a problem parking on one of the side streets. I figured it would be a safer bet than Durango.

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 am

Another vote for parking on the street. I left my truck there for 5 days 2 summers ago with no issues. DGO is a pretty laid back town. My friends prepayed for leaving their truck at the train station. They felt dumb when we got back.

The more important issue here is where to have beers when you get back. My vote is for Steamworks. :D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby wesley_j » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 am

I lived in Durango for five years and am also exicted for the Chicago Basin (in August). I probably would be in inclined to park in the Doubletree parking lot which is literally right across the street from the train station. Parking on side streets in Durango is quite the challenge but if you get lucky with a spot, it would work.

Beers when you get back is the big decision....Steamworks, Carvers, Pongas, The Patio!
Trying to do as we should
That doesn't always rhyme with doing what feels good

Postby aerohr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 am

As far as beers when you get back, I was unbelievably jealous when I witnessed some guys coming off the trail at a similar time to me pulling a bag filled with beer out of the river that they had stashed on the way in. Oh, how I wanted those beers... and of course, none of us brought our wallets to be able to purchase the overpriced beers on the train. Stupid.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 am

aerohr wrote:As far as beers when you get back, I was unbelievably jealous when I witnessed some guys coming off the trail at a similar time to me pulling a bag filled with beer out of the river that they had stashed on the way in. Oh, how I wanted those beers... and of course, none of us brought our wallets to be able to purchase the overpriced beers on the train. Stupid.

Note to self: When touring Chicago Basin 14ers, upon disembarking train at Needleton, search river for free beer.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby turbocat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 am

Last summer while waiting for the train and fishing the Animas I kept stumbling over stashes of submerged 6 packs on stringers up stream from Needleton TH. I was a good guy though and waited to purchase my $4.5 per brew on the train. There has to be some bad Karma in drinking another persons victory (or...ahem...misery) brew. Heck, I carried a 6-pack of SKA and a 1/5 of vodka over Twin Thumbs and only the empties made it out...so I wasn't cravin' and stream feed PBR :lol:
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!