Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shavano/Angel conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Shavano/Angel conditions

Postby Shawnee Bob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Heading up to CO on Monday. Me and a climbing partner are anxious to try a snow climb. So I was wondering if anyone knew what the condition of the Angel is like on Shavano right now. We're also considering Missouri Mountain; however, there are some aspects of that one, plus the recent weather, that may be a bit much for our skill level. So I'm looking at options. We have crampons/axe/helmets. Any beta or advice would be helpful. Heck, we'd even enjoy a little company!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Re: Shavano/Angel conditions

Postby clemsonmtneer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I climbed the Angel Couloir on Shavano last Sunday and it's still in great condition. Just make sure you get an early start since it's east facing and will soften up quickly....unless you happen to get unusually cold weather like we did (23 degrees when we summited at 11:30!).

Postby Shawnee Bob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Man, that would be ideal. May be the way to go for us. Thanks for the info.

Postby PeakMasterFlex » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I was up there today, and from my limited backcountry skiing experience I'd say the Angel looked fair.
I have a picture, although it isn't that detailed.
3617585155_075914fd0e.jpg
3617585155_075914fd0e.jpg (157.17 KiB) Viewed 441 times

Conditions today though were crazy. Upon summiting Tab the wind and snow picked up to the point where you couldn't see a whole lot. If you have questions let me know.

Postby shine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I climbed shavano on wednesday, conditions are great for a snow climb. Take the right arm in the above picture and you can ascend a full 2,ooo feet of snow from the bottom of the angel to near the summit. I was able to ski from the summit to 11,950ft (minus a 50ft. rock section near the summit and a short traverse across a boulder field at the bottom of the angel). Bring some warm gloves (and skis) and be ready for some possible cold weather. It has been a cold spring and I arrived at the summit with below freezing temperatures and it started snowing pretty hard...

Postby Shawnee Bob » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 am

Sweet! We'll be there early next week, probably climb it Tuesday or Wednesday.