Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Combination

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Combination

Postby kmclimber » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Can these two 14ers be done in one day from the Matterhorn Creek trail head? Has anyone done this, if so what time did you start, finish, etc...

Re: Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Combination

Postby lakecityrat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:33 pm

It can be done, but is a long haul. The distance is not insane, but you have to decend quite a bit (a few thousand feet) in elevation between the two. If you are an experienced hiker and get an early start you should be ok.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW

Postby Rich H » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm

I have done it with matterhorn too...it is a long day and it helps if you can come off the west side of Uncompahgre...I can't remember the times but it was 12+ hours

Postby beatlust » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm

We did but not from the parking lot. we had a camp did our alpine start and got them both with a nap inbetween. Do wetterhorn first. There are some alternatives to the long easy uncomphagre standard route that would cut your time and distance dramatically.

Postby 2giqs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:49 am

On 8/23/08, I departed the 2wd Matterhorn Creek TH at 0430 and summited Wetterhorn at 0730. Climbing back down Wetterhorn I could make out a faint trail that cuts across the base of Matterhorn Peak which I subsequently took once I left the rocky lower slopes of Wetterhorn. This faint trail joins the old road route to Uncompahgre. After an hour on this road I started hearing voices. Kept thinking the sound was coming from the summit. Nope, turned out to be from a downslope flock of sheep. At one point I was joined by a couple of the sheep herding dogs. The trek up to Uncompahgre is a long tiring grind. Summited at 1200 and made it back to the car at 1530. Long day, but well worth the effort.
Attachments
san juan mtns 085.jpg
san juan mtns 085.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Postby kmclimber » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:33 pm

What are the conditions like right now? Snowshoes, crampons needed?

Postby CODave » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm

kmclimber wrote:Can these two 14ers be done in one day from the Matterhorn Creek trail head? Has anyone done this, if so what time did you start, finish, etc...

TalusMonkey and I started at 2:00 AM and it took us about 11 hrs. We decided to do Uncompahgre first because it would be easier to hike the further distance to it in the dark. I think we were around 13,000 ft. or so on Uncompahgre when the sun came up.

Postby miztflip » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Although there are more direct routes between the two, I still found it faster,although longer, to stick to the trail for all but Matterhorn which doesn't really have a trail. It seemed like all the people taking the more direct route were spending alot of time navigating nasty talus.