Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir off of N Maroon???

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Couloir off of N Maroon???

Postby warg » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 pm

This picture was taken 6/8/09 from the top of Pyramid. Does anyone know anything about the couloir that comes off the Bell Cord Couloir and runs up to just left of the summit for N Maroon?

I am planning to head up the Bell Cord sometime soon and summit S Maroon. Ideally I would love to traverse across to N Maroon. Then the question becomes "how best to descend?" I will not be on skis.

Thanks!

IMG_8154.JPG
The Bells at sunrise
IMG_8154.JPG (75.68 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Re: Couloir off of N Maroon???

Postby killingcokes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm thinking BASE jump it

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Let us know if you decide to descend that thing, and we'll stay far away. I would expect you would trundle a lot of rock out of it. It might be reasonable to ascend it with a burly alpine rack and freezing temps before the sun came up.
Please post a sign at the base of the chord that says "Route trundling in progress. Stay clear"
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Jcwhite » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 pm

It doesn't go as nicely as you would think. Better off going down the couloir all the skiers use on the climbers right side of the north face.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby warg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 am

Great input - thanks!

Postby warg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 am

I posted a trip report for Pyramid. It has a few more pictures. Are you looking for Bell pictures? I have some more from the previous week (didn't summit Pyramid the first go around).

By the way, nice profile picture. I summited that high point as well. :D

Postby alpinista77 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:15 pm

two years ago i actually descended - as best I could tell - the couloir that was about two to the right (north) of what you identified. Long story as to how that happened, but a good reason not to slip 200' while self arresting and getting lost in the north rock bands, desperate for a way out. Those "couloirs" on that face all suck, are full of nasty down clmbing, and tons of melt. I was soaked when I got down. There's a little jog to the right in my photo - that's where some cliffs are. if you can find the NE or NW ridges, stick to those.
Attachments
Bell Cord Couliour to Maroon Traverse to North Maroon Peak_compressed.JPG
Bell Cord Couliour to Maroon Traverse to North Maroon Peak_compressed.JPG (142.85 KiB) Viewed 436 times

Postby warg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Sounds pretty crazy! Glad you made it out in one piece. I traversed from Castle to Cathedral last summer and summitted just as the lightning started striking all over "electric pass." Wow - I went down the first gully I found, as fast as I could go. Quite the slippery, hair tingling descent.

I do have the GPS track for the NE ridge off of N Maroon. I will take a look at the North face and the NE ridge and see what things look like. Thanks for the input!